Winter tyres

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by geordiegar, Oct 10, 2011.

1. geordiegar Forum Member

Can anyone tell me the VW recommended/optimum winter tyre size to fit a Mk2 on 15" steels please?

2. Admin Guest

Not sure about the VW optimum but I've always used 195/50 for 15" wheels. For winter I've just fitted Vredestein Quatrac 3 all season M+S rated. Lots of choice out there but I settled for those as I wanted to run them well into Spring.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd be tempted to go slightly narrower, with a taller profile - e.g. 175/65x15, but what actually fits will depend on how low your car is, wheel offset, etc.

I recently picked up a 2nd hand set for the audi - good dunlop winter tyres on alloys for 160. If you're quick, you might get in before the winter rush, and pick up a set of wheels and tyres for less than the new tyres.

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have just fitted 4 uniroyal rain experts 195 50 15 to my steelies, brilliant in the wet!

5. geeteethree Forum Member

Awsum scanner skillz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. geordiegar Forum Member

Thanks lads, thinking 185/55 x15", taller with narrower profile seems the way to go. Now to find the right tyres...

7. Alexf Forum Member

Really? I've got exactly the same make and size, been through two pairs now and I think they're rubbish in the rain. Even put a thread on here asking if anyone else thought they were crap. Only reason I had to buy two more was because the garage didn't have any Yokohamas in stock :(

Interesting that you think that, must be my driving :lol:

8. Stupidog New Member

I have the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on my MK2 and My LCR and find them great on both, my GF has the Rain Experts on her Micra, no complaints there either ?

BTW as far as I know there is no need to change the profile when buying Winters, I just bought the same as I use in the Summer and had no problems.
    I asked around at the time and there seems to be a bit of confusion due to the fact that a normal "Summer" tyre will be better in a thinner taller profile than a wide tyre. Also the tendency is for wide tyres to be more sports orientated and so have compounds suited to warmer weather grip rather than all round use.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you'll find 185/55 are cheaper to buy than 195/50 in winter tyres for some reason. I gave up though my local tyre place couldnt get any and the online places were too expensive (I had a pile of cash to hand, but no bank funds) so i though bugger it and put 4x toyo proxies on, sorted :thumbup:

great all round tyre and i had no problems in several inches of snow last year when driving about in my cabby with the toyos on, just a case of drive slow and stick to high a gear as you can

I found these guys were pretty good price wise, 185/55:
    http://www.performancealloys.com/Find-Tyres-By-Size.aspx?st=WINTER&size=185/55R15

195/50:
    http://www.performancealloys.com/Find-Tyres-By-Size.aspx?size=195/50R15&st=WINTER

10. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I managed to pick up a hardly used set of Winter tyres on fleabay beginning of the year....can't remember what they are though TBH....will have to take a look when I get home and edit this if I remember ;)

11. geordiegar Forum Member

Gave up looking online, I have no patience! Bought some Champiro GT winters from a local tyre place in 185/55 and I'm enjoying wet grip after my well scrubbed T1R's. No better on severe black ice funnily enough but curious to see how they cope with the white stuff.