Winter

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by stella, Dec 2, 2008.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

We had a bit of snow here last night, but by the time I got up and took the dog for his walk, most of it had gone. So instead, I took some pictures in the railway cutting and I like this wintry picture of squishy rosehips.

[​IMG]

2. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I hate using this annoying Americanism but that is an awesome shot, really sharp, vivid colours.
    What aperature was that shot with F1.0? lol

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thank you - I quite like it, too :)

I took the pic with my new VR lens (not bad for 135!) Aperture priority mode at F8, ISO250 and at full zoom (200mm) at 1/30 sec, so the VR came in really handy, as I couldn't have held it steady by hand at that speed.

I've also bought Photoshop Elements 7, so I can play with RAW files, which PS7 can't handle.

Embarrassingly, I had left the White Balance set at Tungsten from when I was taking some pics in the house, but the beauty of RAW meant that I could take it back to the proper WB of daylight.

This is what it looked like with the wrong WB, for comparison

[​IMG]

4. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

How come the flowers are so sharp & the background so out of focus at F8? was the background far away?

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I don't really know! I set it to AP, but then had a bit of difficulty focussing, as the lens was hunting, so wasn't taking that much notice of my settings, just trying to focus.

I got the figures for the settings from Elements, which tells me what they are with RAW files.

I was quite surprised it was F8, but I think the fact that it's a long lens makes it have such a small depth of field, in addition to the aperture setting. (I'm hopeless at physics!)