Wiper Blank

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Kroney, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Kroney Forum Member

I'm thinking of buying a new Mk2, but it has rust around the wiper blank. I know it's a pretty common place to get it, but it's quite penetrative and has snuck in under the window seal.

Question is, is it expensive to get the wiper grommet removed completely and how much would I be looking at to get it repaired?

The car doesn't seem to have any serious rust anywhere else and it's a sexy black small bumpered one for 500 or under, so I want it :p

2. pipster Forum Member

i'm sure the blank could very easily be removed and the panel repaired and smoothed (with the screen out to remove and treat the rust). as to how much? i've no idea - if its a flat colour i'd do it myself!

3. Drew21 Forum Member

looking at this myself as the last repair has rusted again. The blank does come out but it's hard to get out intact but they're not expensive to replace.

getting the windscreen out is a tricky job so make sure you have a line on a spare one (ie spot a mk2 in the scrapper) before you try to get it out.

once in there you'll find a lot of rust in the corners of the screen. Mine was bad but not so bad as to need new metal welding in. I just ground the rust off, pop-riveted some new metal into the lip for the screen seal, liberally coated everything in hammerite and waxoyl and then put the screen back in. Lasted 3 years.

gonna be worse this time around!!

if you want someone to do it properly with a MIG then I'd budget 100ish, but bear in mind it's going to be worse than it looks now once the screen is out