Wiper blanking plug

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by The Pig, Jul 19, 2004.

1. The Pig Forum Member

Bit of a boring one this !

While treating a bit of corrosion I took the blanking plug out of the hole in the scuttle that is there for the left hand wiper on left hand drive vehicles. I assumed it just levered out and managed to destroy it in the process.

I'll grab one from a scrappy at some stage but does anyone know if they push fit or screw in so that I have half a chance of getting one out in one piece ?

2. damogti Forum Junkie

You will destroy the one you'll try and get from the scrappy as well when you remove it. Best thing to do is buy a brand new one from the stealers, its only a couple of quid....
    Edited by: damogti

3. Guests Banned

lol i destroyed mine too.....on order at the stealers [:D]

4. damogti Forum Junkie

:lol: I think everyone that has tried to remove it before has ended up doing the same. Why they are that hard i'll never know..... [:s]

5. Jetta Forum Junkie

Am I the only one who can remove em?

You need to push the dowel pin out from the other end, then twist it out.

6. Guests Banned

i realized that after i took a screwdriver to it thinking it would just pop out :lol:

first time i ever taken the wiper off [:$]

7. damogti Forum Junkie

I tried that but it wouldnt budge [:s] In the end i lost my rag and went at it with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers!! :lol:

8. The Pig Forum Member

Lost rag, screwdriver, pliers.........that sounds so familiar !

OK, so they push out, but I begrudge spending money on trim bits at a stealers !

Thanks for the info.

9. daviddd Forum Member

yeah I've got some corrosion around the plug too, must try the dowel pin withdrawal method (sounds like a method of contraception :lol: ). When I was poking around it yesterday trying ter scrape a bit of rust off I lifted the windscreen rubber surround and water came GUSHING out! [8(] . Looks like a screen out jobbie. [:^(]

10. The Pig Forum Member

I JUST caught it in time before it perforated and managed to get enough access by holding the windscreen seal out of the way with a couple of screwdrivers.

A couple of doses of Rustcure and some black Hammerite on both sides means it should outlive the rest of the car.

It all just adds to that "not quite showroom condition" or "vehicle in daily use" effect......

11. daviddd Forum Member

good plan - may try that instead.

12. The Pig Forum Member

If it has rusted through as far as the seal at that point it is possible it will leak, but should get caught by the drip guard that extends underneath it at that point. If it misses the drip guard it'll go into the heater intake so a little modification to the drip guard might be in order.

If the rust hole extends from the back of the scuttle forward beyond the limit of the windscreen seal you should think about pulling the screen out and repairing it properly.

I released the seal back into contact with the scuttle before the Hammerite was fully dry (30 minutes or so) so the seal is now effectively sealed at that point anyway. Might be fun if I have to change the windscreen however......

13. Ian_S Forum Member

If anyones interested I destroyed my one aswell and got a new one from VAG today, 1.26 + VAT for both parts.

Ian.

14. Ticalion Forum Member

Changed to a single wiper yesterday,
    used an old wheel bolt yo push the pin out from behind, took some time but once it got moving it worked great. [:D]