Wiper problems

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Mitch82, May 9, 2007.

1. Mitch82 New Member

I've recently brought a Mk 4 Golf 1.8T Gti and things are starting to go wrong. First of all the light behind my climate controls wont work when I turn my lights on so you have to guess a setting between sauna and freezer then last week the wipers suddenly stopped and stuck fully up on my windscreen whilst on the motorway. Im told that the linkages have gone on the motor and this has caused the wipers to almost cease completely. Now i've noticed that the jets on it have also stopped. The garage are charging 110 for it all but that seems a little steep.

Anyone had any similar problems?

2. lairy_1

lairy_1 CGTI Regional Host

My dad bought a mk4 recently, and the wiper linkage seized on that within a month. Our local GSF said that they are prone to it. GSF stock the linkage (genuine, not a copy). It's not too hard to do yourself. Costs about 30 quid, and only took me 20 minutes to fit with basic tools.

We bought a motor first, as we thought it would be that, but when I stripped it, the motor was fine, so if I was you, I'd save some money and just buy the linkage.

I can't help you with the climate control or spray, though!

Matt.

3. Seraph Banned

As said, the wiper fault is a known mk4 weakspot. Remedy as above

for the jets, makes sure the motors working? & the lines are clear - may need blowing through with air.

the climate fascia needs removing to replace the bulb i suspect