Wire colours, help please! now with photo

Discussion in 'ICE' started by The Machine, Oct 4, 2004.

1. The Machine Forum Member

Im trying to install a headunit in my Mk2 GTI '90 spec as it came without one when i bought it.
    Basicly i know what wires are what comming out of the stereo because they are labled but not the ones comming out of the dash.Iv tried colour matching but nowt is happening.

PIC:
    [​IMG]

Does anybody know what colour is what please because i just keep blowing fuses!!! [:^(]

Thanks
    Edited by: The Machine

2. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

the red is live the brown is earth. the other 2 i am not too sure. 1 may be for illumination.
    there should be another bunch of speaker wires!
    have you got a test light? if not get one from maplins they are very cheap ;)
    most mk2s did not have an ignition live to the stereo so you may need to tap one off one of the switches (rear heated window switch is normaly ok)or connect both wires from the sereo to the red wire (permanent live)

3. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

Blue and White is the Illumination.

I cant make out the colour of the other wires.

4. The Machine Forum Member

Thanks for the help, appreciated.(+Rob if your reading ;) )

It looks like I did have it conncected right so it must be the stereo. Its only a pooy secondhand goodmans (i know, i know)
    The plan was to use this 'till Iv saved for the alpine but looks like I'll be asking for my twenty quid back on this one [:$]