Wires to the dizzy???

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dipesh51, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Hi,

I have now figured out the problem and the REASON why my car won't start, the wired going to the dizzy are completely knackered and on inspecting them, ALL came loose.. i also managed to break the clip going into the dizzy..

Is there a way of replacing JUST the wires or is it a case of getting a new loom and also new clip??

Thanks

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

vw should sell you a new plug and crimps or repair leads to sort it

3. neil kaye Forum Junkie

the plug on the dizzy is 230329038,and then you need the pins if yours are damaged,the plug on the loom ,just ask for junior timer plug,(repair kit)3 pin to mate up with the p/n above

4. Dipesh51 Forum Member

;)Sweet... Thanks guys... straight to VW in the morning... Hopefully this will sort the car.;)

5. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Hi,

I have called VW and asked them for the part numbers, they have been obsolete since 1997... OHOH!!!

Neil, i asked them for the number you gave me too but they said that their system did not recognise the part number.. please can you check this again for me..

Thanks

P.s. What do i do now???

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

spose you could grab a plug off a scrap car and solder /crimp it on

or use vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk to buy new crimps and do a better job

im not sure they are obselete...i bought some to do the same job about 18months back

7. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Would it not work if i re-wire and use spade connectors?? Any other fixing ideas??

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

dont think theyre spade terminals

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

p/n correct,but has a 1 at the front,not sure if that makes any difference,ive seen two different types,and theres a later spec on but its all part of the hall sender ,this is not the one you need but p/n is 1 230329062,thats the one for late mk2,plug and sender all in one and imo much better design

i will have a look and see if i can find the other type plug but the initial number i gave i took from a plug i have here that came off an 88 mk2 KR,but if you can no longer get them,id try get a second hand late spec dizzy
    didnt one of the polos have the same dizzy as the KR?

if the plug is intact and its just the wires that are broke off you could repair it,i have done this myself once,was very awkward as the wires go hard and brittle after a time