Wiring Headunit to the battery

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Mark16v, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Mark16v Forum Member

My Alpine CDA-9812RB came with the standard wiring loom and a seperate thick yellow cable and fuseholder which is for connecting directly to the battery. I never bothered before as I was using a seperate amp so it didn't require such a large current draw. I've been planning on fitting the amp into my car for months now but haven't got round to it and I'm noticing that since using the internal amp of the headunit there is no where near the same amount of power coming out of my HU as my mates Pioneer. The only difference I can tell between the 2 is that his is wired upto the battery and mine is taking the power from the standard ISO harness. Would this really cause such a difference in the output levels at a higher volume? Don't really fancy pulling the dash apart and routing another cable in this french tin car only to find there's no difference![:[]

2. kona786 Forum Member

i have the same headunit that i'm about to fit now. its definatly true that you have to wire it up to the battery for the quoted max power, i got some extension cables and a fuse from halfords today to wire it up.

where and how did you ground the h/u?

cheers,
    Wahid.

3. Mark16v Forum Member

It was well over a year ago that it was fitted in my last car (mk2 valver) but from memory I already had most of the wiring in place with exception to the switched live. The ground cable was already connected up to the ISO harness so it was a short job of plugging in the connectors once I'd wired the switched live into the back of the fan switch.
    Looks like I'll be scuffing my wrists up on the cheap plastic dashboard in my 206 trying to get a cable from the battery terminal to the HU after all :(

4. kona786 Forum Member

connected mine up yesterday and it works fine. grounded it on the earth strap under the bonnet.

the alpine is swish with its motorized face and blackout screen...[8D] [8D] .

5. Mark16v Forum Member

It is a superb unit, had mine for about 3 years and just don't want another as there's none around which interests me! Good looking unit that is still included on Alpines website even tho its an old model, even they seem to be really impressed with it [:D]

6. kona786 Forum Member

mine the black model with read lights; proper slick. for some odd reason tho im not getting a good full sound thru my speakers. it seems very tinny.

got any solutions Mark??

cheers,
    Wahid.

7. Mark16v Forum Member

Are all the speakers wired up in phase? (Are all the positive wired and negative wires where they're meant to be?) Also have you enabled the MX function or the Bass-type? Depends on your setup really if you've got an amp etc but I know mine sounded rubbish at first when I got the front right speaker cables the wrong way round.

8. kona786 Forum Member

i thought of that when i was driving just now. its most probably out of phase because it sounds fine when i balance it left and right but tinny when centered cos they cancel each other out.

cool cheers mate.