Wiring loom help!

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by joe0088, Apr 10, 2013.

1. joe0088 New Member

I am in need of some advice rather desperately. I have an agu engine early 1999 one and have a loose connection in the green plug that goes into the back of the dials. I needed to extend the wires out as its in a mk2 golf and need the reach.
    So I've soldered all the wires together but where I thought they were all the same they arnt! The donor loom and plug has purple/yellow wire and yellow and brown with spots, and the original mk4 loom has yellow/blue and red and blue wire.
    I don't have a voltmeter so can't check the voltage to at least match it to the volts and guess which goes where. Does anyone know off hand which to connect!? Much help this is the last thing to get the car started!
    Thanks in advance

2. joe0088 New Member

Just checked the wires to the pins and have found they don't go to the same pins.
    Wire blue/yellow pin 11 (old)
    Wire blue/red pin 24 (old)

Wire purple/yellow pin 12 (new)
    Wire brown/yellow spots pin 26 (new)
    Shall I just give it a go matching up the nearest ones?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok so from what i can tell, you are fitting mk4 clocks in a mk2 and need to extend the wires for the clock loom? and the new clock loom wires differ from old clock loom wires?

if so, dont match the wire colours, match the pin numbers. so old clock plug pin 1 -> new clock plug pin 1, old clock plug pin 2 -> new clock plug pin 2. ignore the colours, these can change. but pin locations will not if you are using the same clocks from the donor!

4. joe0088 New Member

Yeh used the agu 1.8t engine, looms, clocks keys and immobiliser. Thought it would be easier than using the mk2 and mk4 loom. I connected the wires that were closest in number to each other. Started first time! Thanks for the advice again