Wiring up a fuel pump...easy?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Hermie, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Hermie Forum Member

Hey, i need to wire in the new fuel pump and lift pump for my golf driver to 16v conversion, i have the wire from main pump to the boot and will have the conector to the lift pump, what wires do i need to connect? im guessing its just the two as the other 2 from the 4 pin connector are for the fuel level indicator?
    Im not sure what im trying to achieve, is it a constant live that comes on with the ignition or is it a live with a signal from the ecu or something??

Im sure its not that complicated but im not exactly a dab hnd at wiring yet! [:$]

Thanks for any help, much apreciated :)

James

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

its the same wire that connects the two pumps...red/yellow, its wired via a relay from the ecu.

thats right the purple/black + brn whte stripe is for the level sender.

officialy the relay should be connected to the ecu so in the event of a accident / engine cuts the fuel doesnt keep pouring in, but thats up to you, i'd just wire it up to the black wire from the ignition switch if you can't find the correct feed. But I like a good bodge!! :lol:

Also if the relay is not a std vw part make sure the relay contacts or rated at 20 amps or over
    Edited by: Vento Mike

3. Oplaii Forum Member

I've used a seperate relay 30amp spst

30- +12v used an inline fuse (15amp)
    87- + Wire to pump
    86- Coil terminal 1
    85- Ignition live

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

I've used a 5 pin one from GSF, think it was about 12.

From Pin 87 I've got a wire for the lift pump sender, seperate one for the main pump and another going to the WUR.

5. Hermie Forum Member

cool, thanks for the help, much apreciated :) nearly there now, i think i found a suitable relay in my garage, ideal :lol:

thanks, james