Wiring Up Front Amped 6.5" Components

Discussion in 'ICE' started by lee404, Sep 26, 2005.

1. lee404 New Member

Before i upgrade my speakers im going to make sure all the wiring is
    done and i would like to replace all the old wiring with proper high
    quality stuff for the front amped 6.5" components.

To replace the wiring on the 6.5" woofers i understand ill have to
    remove the door cards and feed the wires down that wiring tube and into
    the bottom of the door trims to the boot where the amp will be.

The hardest part looks like replacing the tweeter wires, what kind of
    stuff would i have to remove to re run the tweeter wires to the door
    speakers or crossovers? and where is the best place to put the
    crossovers?

Many thanks for your help :)

2. lee404 New Member

by the way my motor is a Golf Mk3

3. icedub New Member

Lee, the mk3 can be a bit tricky at one point, this is where the cables pass from the cabin through to the door. They must pass through a multi-plug inside the rubber sleeve between the door and car body, it can be tricky and take your time.

You have to - route the cable up to the rear of the multi-plug in the cabin - pull the rubber sleeve back to reveal the multi-plug connecting to the car body - seperate the multi-plug (IIRC you have to loosen the plug by unscrewing the collar/ outer ring) and identify two empty connections that line up when the plug is connected - CAREFULLY drill out the connections on each side of the plug, large enough for the cable to pass through - feed the cable through, pulling up the slack as you go until the plug is reconnected - feed cable through rubber sleeve into the door...........phew!

You do not have to remove the door card to do this or replace the 6.5" mid (unless you want to apply dynamat or the like behind it. Lever the grilles off the door card, the mids are then accessable.

The way I did my old mk3 was to have the amp in the boot, and the x-overs for front and rear components under the back seat cushion closer to the front edge of the seat, mounted on mdf hot glued to the metal work. I then ran four cables to the front of the car,to thedoors and tweeter positions in the ends of the dashboard - 2 x cables to mids, 2 x cables to tweeters.

Once tweeter cables are under the dash at each end, they can be fed directly up through the dash to the standard tweeter locations.

Hope that helps.