Wishbone Bolt Repair - UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by Richard Mk2, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone know of anyone who could fix the captive nut on my MK2 Golf.

Tbh, i can't drive it anywhere as it still needs MOT/Tax/Insurance... so would be better if someone could come out to me and fix it in my lock up.

If anyone could recommend someone to fix it, please do let me know.
    I'm only 5 mins away from Uxbridge/A40/M25/M40, and i really need this done as soon as possible...

Cheers :thumbup:

2. mk28vICED Forum Member

whats spinning front or rear bolt? im too far away otherwise i'd do it for you.
    you need a mobile welder to come and do it for you, but if its the front they wont know how to remove all the suspension to get access. if its the rear they'll just cut a hole in the floorpan and weld the nut back on.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If its still welded to floor but bolt is spinning you can attempt the vag approved repair, which is to drill thru the top of the captive nut and cut a new thread into it. Nothing to be lost if you mess it up:
    clickity

if it has just come away from floorpan but still has good thread on, go thru the guide and you'll see a round hole in the floor. pop the plate out you can put a suitably sized socket & extension down there, if you can hammer a socket over the captive nut you can use that to hold it still while you do up your bolt :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. Richard Mk2

Thanks mate. :thumbup: Would of been good if you were near.

Basically last year, when i was using it daily, i decided to fit new wishbones and bushes as they were creaking badly , but when i come to change the drivers side, the bolt going up through the bush on the back on the wishbone had snapped off inside. Was probably causing the creaking.

So it looks like a cut in the floor pan job! [:^(]

5. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the Clicky :thumbup:

Im hoping the captive nut is ok, as the bolt has snapped off inside it.

I wonder if there is anyway of getting the rest of it out and then replace with a new bolt?

I ordered a wishbone bolt kit from vwspares.co.uk so will have a new bolt for it.

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the best way would be to lower the subframe out the way of the bolt
    the use mole grips or a irwin stud remover

7. Richard Mk2

Good idea Mushy :thumbup:

I think i could get to it by just removing the wishbone :thumbup:

8. rubjonny

aye, pop the subframe off/down and get at it with grips. try to get yourself a suitably sized tap for it as well, clean the threads out once bolt removed. if it wont come out weld a nut onto it or something then try again.
    If that still dont work chop it flat and drill the bolt out, go up gradual in sizes and eventually you should be able to remove the bolt with minimal damage to the thread.

9. Richard Mk2

Is it a hard job dropping the subframe? As ive never done it before.

Hopefully once that is off i can get at it with grips. :thumbup:

10. rubjonny

not really, just have to support the engine and release the UJ from the rack + track rods & ball joints from the hubs. engine crane on the block, jack under the subby and lower till clearance is gained :)

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I discovered that I already have the floorpan 'mod' on my drivers side when i was polybushing everything. The nut still isnt welded I just hold the top one with a socket whilst tightening from underneath - pure lazy

12. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the info. :thumbup:

I haven't got an engine crane atm. But i might try and get one of those Engine Support Beams, to support the engine while i take the subframe off.

I'm going to need a dry day to do it though, as ive got to roll the car out of the garage.

13. Richard Mk2

Yea its a common problem on our MK2's. A few of my friends have had this happen on there's, but no one has had the bolt actually snap off inside like mine [:x]

Well will hopefully get it sorted as soon as possible, ready for the MOT. :thumbup:

14. Richard Mk2

Managed to get the wishbone out of the way to get a good look at the snapped bolt.

[​IMG]

From the picture you can see part of the wishbone bolt still inside.

So hopefully if i can get this out the replacement bolt will go straight in.

I bought this kit from vwspares.co.uk -
    [​IMG]

The only problem is getting something to turn it out a little bit more. I dont really want to drop the subframe.

Will give it a go with some pliers tomorrow.

15. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Some Irwin Bolt Grippers might do the trick, though I've never used my set directly on a thread.

It's a bit of an awkward place to get to, but good luck!

[​IMG]

16. nealey Forum Junkie

I would go for a set of bolt grippers on it first as well, thats going to be the most likely thing to shift it, i would also get as much penetrating spray on it as you can, may be wise to lift the carpet and get it sprayed in there from the top as well as i think thats going to be one tight bolt!

I seriously dought you will be able to turn it out with pliers with the subframe on

17. Richard Mk2

Good idea Dan.

If i can get it out without removing the subframe i should be ok.

But if not, i'll remove it, and should have enough room to get at it using those irwin bolt grippers. :thumbup:

18. pigbladder Forum Addict

some heat before you turn it might help ....heat it , tap with hammer , repeat a few times then the irwins

or if anyone can pop round and weld onto it that would heat it nice and leave you something to turn with

19. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the info mate :thumbup:

Well if anyone is local to me to give us a hand - I live in 5 mins from Uxbridge, 10mins from Watford, just outside of west london, next to A40, M40, M25... :thumbup:

20. Richard Mk2

I thought i would try my best at the snapped bolt today.

Managed to lower the subframe on one side, supported by the jack.
    It gave me enough room to get at the thread and turn it with pliers. But still no luck.

It just wont budge. I suppose the only way of getting it out now is using the Irwins or drill it out...