Wishbone bush shims

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by scottmk1, Dec 27, 2003.

1. scottmk1 Forum Member

on my mk2 golf gti, i removed a shim type thing outa the inner sleeve of the rear wishbone bush. the new bush that i bought didnt come with a new shim, and i wrecked the old one taking it out. the thing is, do i actually need it or is it ok to run the car without it? its a 1991 mk2 gti 8v.

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

like a tube?? you need it

3. scottmk1 Forum Member

sort of, it goes inside the sleeve thats bonded into the bush.

4. Oli.Hall Forum Member

Yes, your tires will probably wear without it as it
    centralises the rear bush in the subframe and stops the bush moving under load and throwing the tracking out.

If the sleeve is missing or damaged when you tighten the rear subframe bolts causes a loud click/clunk when turning slowly as the bush is loaded and moves about in the subframe.

They're 50p from GSF and they're a pain to get in properly because when the car is jacked up, the wishbones are at an angle and you can get the sleeve through the first bit of the subrframe, but it won't go in to the half on the other side.

Everytime i've done powerflex bushes apart from one I've had to drop the subframe to get the sleeve in as then you can push it through with the wishbones level and use an extension bar through the bush to line the holes up.

Oli.

5. scottmk1 Forum Member

i wont have to jack the car up as i have access to a pit [:D] . cheers for the replys i'll get onto it asap.