Wishbones seam welded...

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Tubthumped, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Polo Classic Forum Member

Wide track=Passat 35i wishbones (not from chicken)

2. prof Forum Addict

or full 5 stud kit from a VR6 mk3, Motorhead has the current recipe for 4 stud wide track, but there are some complications with pattern parts. if you use passat wishbones then you can keep the current ARBs

thinking about this guys, as the strut is at more of an angle with the passat wishbones, doesn't this reduce the spring rate?

3. Golden Forum Junkie

Yes, the spring rate will reduce as well as the roll centre lowering increasing body roll. On top of this the scrub radius and kpi will also change, if I'm allowed to mention that....again [:$], giving vauge steering and poor turn in characteristics as well as effecting the self centering. But what do I know.........

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Ahh look - Golden is sulking again because i don't think my car handles good on 17's! :lol: :lol: :clap:

5. Golden Forum Junkie

No, I'm sulking because you wouldn't have it that your car handled crap because it had a bad combination of componants poorly setup [:^(] [:^(] [:^(][:D] .

6. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

It had a single bad component - 17's
    And it was very well seup when on 15's ;)

7. Golden Forum Junkie

LMAO, ok Tub, I'll let it go :lol:

8. vrbanana Forum Junkie

No hope for me then with the wider front arms on, much like the Reeves M1 with wider front arms[:s] [:s] [:s] [:s] [:s] [:s] ............ :lol: :lol:

9. Golden Forum Junkie

Are you mocking me?

10. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Quote.......giving vauge steering and poor turn in characteristics as well as effecting the self centering. But what do I know.........

pointing out that the Reaves MK1 has lower arms that have been extended to widen the track but the car doesnt seem to suffer from the Ill effects you suggest

11. edc1 Forum Member

Yeah but the Reeves motors haven't just had the wishbones bolted on and the coilovers turned a few notches ..

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Did I suggest they had ???????but Golden's statement was sweeping and didnt suggest the alterations would be anything other that counter productive

13. Golden Forum Junkie

SO WHAT!

A Ferrari F1 car has wider track than a golf, so does a bloody Transit van.

I think you'll find the Reeves car has a bit more R&D done (by people who know what they're doin) than just slapping on a pair of passat wishbones.

14. Andy947 Forum Addict

Calm down dear, calm down dear, its only a wishbone :lol:

15. Golden Forum Junkie

X10

[:x]

Andy :lol:

16. vrbanana Forum Junkie

"A Ferrari F1 car has wider track than a golf"

Proving the point that your sweeping statement about altering the track was wrong.

The Corrado has the same pick up points as the Golf but uses wider arms (funnily enough the same as the Passat) so with the passat arms on the track and geometry becomes the same as the Corrado and we all know the turn in feels vague on those dont we ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. edc1 Forum Member

Not to me no, but it could be implied that way. The way you wrote it, as I can interpret it, was that the Reeves cars have a wider track and they are by all accounts excellent but you didn't offer any info on what else has been done to them thus possibly implying that their strong performance derives largely from the wider track.

18. Golden Forum Junkie

If you bothered to read the whole thread instead of just trying to pick holes you'd know that the original question came from prof asking about the effects of just changing the wishbones.

Why do you feel you have to attempt to argue the toss with me when all I ever do is attempt to help people on this forum.

Rarely have I seen so many sheep who listen to likes of 2 or 3 people and take their word as gossple.

Some of us are actually qualified in the subject of motor vehicle engineering and don't just pull smart arse comments out of our arse.

19. vrbanana Forum Junkie

The comments that sparked my reply was because it was implied that altering of the track from the norm would cause adverse effects when it clearly is not the case given other alterations are made. Generalisations cause problems because people take them as gospel, I dont depute the theory but the practice suggests the opposite. The thing people will want to know is why. And once again if such a small change in track (on a vehicle designed for a slightly narrower track) would cause such adverse handling then why does the Corrado feel so much better than a MK2??? Theres a reason for everything!

20. Andy947 Forum Addict

I'd guess the different spring rates, arb's and wheel ofsets (only the VR corrado got wide track didnt it? - and the 5 stud has a lower ofset doesnt it?)

[:s]