Wishy washy 02A gearbox/gearchange

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Dennis10, Oct 16, 2009.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

the bushes took about a week or so

any slop on the cable ends ? one of mine was bad

the towers are only held on with 2 bolts ...might be worth grabbing another and trying it

2. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

how do you mean slop on the cable ends? You mean where they slot onto the shift tower? (the plastic part?) If so, how would I test for slop?

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

yank on all the mving parts ..if the cable moves and the bit its clipped onto doesnt then its sloppy

pretty much every part on mine had play , so ive worked through it and replaced /modded what i can until its acceptable

you wont make it like brand new by replacing one part...its all badly designed set up , and its all suffered wear n tear by now

4. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

mr.pig, just wondering if you can tell me what replacement part this is supposed to be and if I should get it? You get a discount if you get this and the other gruvenpart, but if it isnt worth it I shant bother...

http://gruvenparts.com/website/cart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=384&category_id=60

:)

Am I right in saying it is a substitute for when the ball ends of the cable break off? You tighten in the cable and then slot the hole onto the other shift mechanism gruven do?

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah its to fix a broken cable

mine had a rubber bush there that was slack as ever , i luckily found someone that made me a sung fitting nylon one

6. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Right I fitted those new washers/bushes this weekend.

Despite looking very pretty it made absolutely nada difference... the old bushes were in pretty good shape, but its only a tenner I guess! :)

So... I think it is another fiddle with the linkage, to see whats what. I had a good yank around as you said, the selector tower the forward/back cable connects to moves around a tiny bit, so I suppose looking there is my first port of call.. Ive PMed Hotgolf to see how far he is with knocking up those shift mechanism parts shown in the other thread, no reply yet..

Not alot else seems to move when I pull around on the mechanism, its all pretty solid, so I think another fiddle with the cable adjustment cant do any harm. Can someone tell me, when adjusting the forward/back cable section in the little adjustment slot (has a nut you can loosen to move it along in the slider, then retighten) , what does adjusting it towards the front of the car do, and what does adjusting it back do? Does it control how far into the gear the gear stick moves? So if I adjust it back in the slot, the gear wont engage quite as far at the gear stick? [:$]

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

well if you ajusted it too far one way it would push too far into say 1, 3, 5 and not have enough reach for 2,4

mines got holes where you loosen it and put a 8mm drill in to hold it while you tighten it

strange the bushes made little differance...my rubber ones looked fine yet it made a very noticable change

the actual tower bit isnt too bad to swap ...you consider that?