Wonky Camshaft Pulley

Discussion in '8-valve' started by ringo14, Jul 5, 2017.

1. ringo14 New Member

I have a 1.8 8v GL and the Camshaft Pulley on the outside of the lower cambelt cover which drives the Alternator/Drive Belt spins off centre.

Is this a common problem? could it be buckled similar to an alloy wheel or is it not centralised?

Have tried to remove one of the 4 allen key head bolts using a socket/Hex bit, But they are ON THERE. Im sure i could get them off if i persisted and sacrificed some bits/sockets.

If i leave it will it get worse or eat the drive belt?

Can post a video of it spinning if needed.

Thanks in advance

Ringo

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, Ringo,

I take it that the pulley isn't at a right angle to the end of the crankshaft, and rotates out of true, when viewed from the side of the engine. Besides the four holes for the securing bolts, the pulley should have another small hole, which fits over a 'pip' on the 'sprocket' behind, which drives the timing belt. I'm not sure, though, that the bolt holes will all line up if the pulley isn't offered up properly anyway.

Those hex-recess bolts can be very awkward to release, due to them being in the recess of the pulley itself. I tackled them on the 1.6 'AEA' engine not long ago, and they resembled 'modern sculpture' pieces by the time I'd finished.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  3. ringo14 New Member

Yeah thats the one, didnt notice the little pip through all the rust. Will make it easy when refitting

Managed to get the little sucker off, opted for brute force in the end and the bolts were no match for 950nm of torque from my impact driver.

The pulley actually came off pretty easy, couple 'taps' with the rubber mallet at 3 and 9 and off she popped.

Can't figure out a way to spin the pulley manually to see if its out of shape but for 15 delivered for a new one why bother.

Once fitted i will update on whether it worked or not for future reference.

4. ringo14 New Member

Just realised i wrote camshaft instead of crankshaft. what a wally :clap: