wont spark

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by rttsvw, Jan 10, 2011.

1. rttsvw Forum Member

hi guys iv been doin a 1.8t conversion and on the wkend we had a go at startin it but for some reson the spark plugs wouldnt spark we kinda guessed there was a problem with the wireing somwere does anyone have any ideas iv been thinking about it today and thought maybe because we gravity feed the fuel to the engine the ecu couldnt detect the fuel so wouldnt cause a spark could i be rite or is it likly to be somthing else?

2. Gricey1.8t New Member

what loom are you using standerd mk4 or ??

the engine will still spark without fuel

have you connected the pickup on the flywheel properly , ? i have done this exact thing myself , thought it was plugged on , it actually wasnt , its on the front of the block , make sure its pushed on tight spent ages hunting for a problem with my mk4 ripped the dash apart the lot only to find it was that stupid plug
    on mk4 engines the agu (or pre 2001) there is an ignition amplifier on the air box , a friend of mine changed an engine for this reason only to find it was this amplifier duff and therefor not working ,

im not sure where it is on the 2001 onwards tho im afraid as far as i was aware it wasnt fitted to aum
    onwards engine codes , food for thought

coilpacks dead? not uncommon check you have live to the cables on the coil plugs

coilpack wiring not earthed?

3. rttsvw Forum Member

im using the standerd loom its a AUQ i thought id forgoten somthing its got a 2002 stamp on the block iv removed the sai, lamba ect to tidy up the engine havnt instaled the resitors yet tho if that would matter? thanks mate ill have a look at the things you have mentioned but i belive its all earthed and powered correctly ill still check

4. Gricey1.8t New Member

might be worth plugging everything in first , then get it running , after you have done that remove things one by one that will with a bit of luck narrow down your issues

5. tom1362 New Member

Having the exact same problem

Didn't even give it petrol as i put on a new turbo and wanted it to prime it as well as see would it turn over.

No Spark !

Have SAI, N249, Charcoal etc but as above, no resistors fitted

6. HidRo Forum Member

Does this engine have a Ignition Amplifier fitted to it?
    Have you checked if you have access to the ECU?

7. tom1362 New Member

lads i had the exact same problem today

I changed the crank position sensor but no joy,

I realised that the loom for the engine harness had two small Earth wires near the ECU connection. I gorund these and it sparked away