wooooooo noise

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by amzee, Sep 8, 2006.

1. amzee Forum Member

ok am getting this noise when driving can hear it more when am on the motorway. now am i correct in saying the rear bearing are gone?

an if it is bearing how hard or easy is it to do, or how much have ppl been charged in the past?

its a mk3 golf 1.4

thanks

2. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

rear bearings are easy as pie to do.
    GSF sell them for around 7 a set, but genuine ones last longer.

3. joeb Forum Member

Me too. mines a 1995 1.4cl mk3 and im experiencing the same noise. thought maybe it was the wheels needed balancing or something. but its a job to tell when driving which end of the car its coming from. so is it likely to be that?:lol:

4. oak8vgti Forum Member

if your wheels needs balancing you would feel vibration and not a woooooooing noise, the noise could also be from front wheel bearings

5. RobC Forum Member

The annoying thing is that it gets easier to tell where the noise is coming from as it worsens. Eventually you'll get a slight vibration from the affected corner. Not a difficult job to fix anyway - I seem to remember having both front bearings replaced on my mk3 gti for around 70.