worn gears?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by simonmk2, Jan 5, 2009.

1. simonmk2 Forum Member

I had problem getting in 3rd gear today when i had a look i found oil has been leaking out the driveshaft. I topped up with oil and 3rd is almost poppin out of gear and 2nd is grindin now not everytime but it feels further down when it's engaged? do you think it's gone dry and the syncro's are worn and it's gona die and I gota part wid some more cash? i'm changing the seals on the flanges or am i wasting my time?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

when you say 'top up' where did you top it up too and where did you put the oil? Also what car is it. Gotta give us a clue here ;)

3. simonmk2 Forum Member

sorry its mk2 golf gti 8v i put the oil in the filler plug on the side

4. rubjonny

hmm not good, sounds like the box got damaged. You could try a linkage repair as per the FAQ if there is any play there, plus check the cable adjustment. if all that checks out then its probably gonna need another box :(

5. simonmk2 Forum Member

do you think i've damaged the synco's? i've got a lsd fitted and dont want 2 ruin that i'm sure i can hear a wineing noise now aswell mayb bearings?

6. rubjonny

the LSD is probably fine, they're usually pretty well made. Just a thought, what oil did you top it up with?

7. simonmk2 Forum Member

can't remember wot number it is just standard oil nothing special i'm sure it's something more serious cus when it's in third gear when i acclerate the gstick moves? which it didnt before i'm gona check linkages in morning but i'm sure it's dieing? if i carryed on driveing it for a bit would it sieze completely causeing total failure of the internals??

8. rubjonny

that could be down to a worn gearbox mount, drain it all out and refill with dexron II ATF, guy on here said his box rebuilder recommended it!

9. simonmk2 Forum Member

i recently changed the gearbox mount but i did inspect it and seems ok but the rubber looks abit pearished? I noticed a small blob the size of a 50p of gearbox oil in the carpark at work under my car i gota change the diff oil seals they leaking quite bad i was stupid and didnt change them when i put in lsd[><] wot a dick! where would i get that type of oil? at vw?

10. rubjonny

pretty much any factors will do dexron, its boggo automatic transmission fluid. if you fancy spending a bit more redline mtl oil is supposed to be the nuts for 020 boxes, certainly works great in my gearbox :thumbup:

11. simonmk2 Forum Member

gota take mk2 off the road theres a lot of oil now all ova the road it seems to be leaking slightly then dumping the lot? the last two days i havent had a problem finding any gears but today it crunched again! only once but thats enough! i'm gona disasemble the lot when i get replacement hopefully monday a passet 20vt. still keeping mk2 even though missus says i'm mad!!

12. simonmk2 Forum Member

gearbox died today it's making a loud knocking noise which i can feel through the stick, luckly it did it outside my house when i reversed back to straighten up, the gear stick stuck between neutral and first gear and with alot of swearing i managed to free it. I think its sumthing more than a worn synrco or bearings I think the gears have moved on the shaft??

13. rubjonny

yeah that sounds pretty serious :(