worn mixture screw on KR?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by cometbluecoupe, Oct 20, 2005.

1. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Hi was out driving my mk2 16v yesterday - gave it a bit of stick up to about 6k, after this it would not idle and the revs were yo-yoing up and down. After spending the afternoon fiddling with cleaning stuff like the inlet tract and isv (which mad no diff)I decided to just wedge a 3mm in the mixture screw and wind in anti clockwise half a turn.

This imediately solved the prob...and the car felt better. But after driving more (and again after a good few revs) the car feels very stally (idle down to 800) and jumpy at low revs.

My question is - does the mixture screw get loose when old or are they say on seals that perish or something - cos it seems like a good reving is causing it to move?!? Obviously i need to get to a garage and have CO2 setup really, but can this happen and what parts do i need to fix it? Cheers for any help in advance!

Dan

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

yep,the screws can actually go bye byes [8(]

its just the rubber o ring that wears on them,new screw and seal are available from vw. :thumbup:

3. stevef Forum Member

Don't think the screw wears out - only the threaded part should touch anything if correctly adjusted.

You just need the 'O'ring.

Take it to a bearing/seal shop or search the plumbing section at B&Q.

4. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

cheers lads - any one got a part number off etka for the o ring?

Cheers

Dan

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

You`re talking about the CO adjustment screw in the metering head? You can`t get seperate bits for it, it` possible the air flap mechanism is sticking due to gunk? I cleaned my metering head an it made a world of difference.

6. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Cleaned metering head out, got a long 3mm allen key (had to buy a whole set at 11 - grrr) and tried GVK's tuning guide - and - touchwood - seems to be running nice enough with decent power. Will see what economy is like and get it set up at a garage in near future.

Cheers for help

Dan

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

feckinell,thought you meant the air screw on the back of the throttle body for some reason.