worn rack?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by loosenutz, Oct 26, 2003.

1. loosenutz New Member

The steering on my mk2 8v jetta gti (PAS fitted) has been getting a bit "vague" when pointing straight ahead lately; there doesnt seem to be any play in the track rod ends, and i did the top mounts (and tracking afterwards) fairly recently so ruled those out and assumed that it was probably either balljoints or wishbone bushes causing the problems. However on taking the weight off the front end and turning the steering with the engine off, there doesnt seem to be any play in the rack itself but theres a really bad tight spot in the rack just off central in either direction. Could this be causing the problems? I'm guessing that slackening off the adjustment in the rack isnt gonna help much, but just wondered if anyone had any ideas really.
    The vagueness in the steering is only really noticeable when going dead straight, when the car will suddenly become vague, or veer slightly one way or the other.

2. jc.. Forum Member

3. loosenutz New Member

Lol nice racks, but doesnt really help me much!! Any guesses anyone, before i go out and blow 140 quid on a recon rack?

4. Counterfeit New Member

sounds like it's worn in the middle, and has had the slop sdjusted out, hence binding on the less worn bits either side.

new rack time probably

5. loosenutz New Member

Cheers, i thought that might be the case, but was just hoping that someone might be able to suggest something else (or cheaper!!).