Worrying noise - Wheel bearings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by FSARoyster, Nov 26, 2008.

1. FSARoyster Forum Member

Hi folks,

Car passed its MOT back in mid Septmber. Before and since MOT I've noticed a kind of whurring noise, which tends to get louder on bends. I wondered if it was the wheel bearings, but its the same noise what ever way I'm turning, I thought if a bearing on one side was going the noise would only really be noticeable when the cars turning\leaning on that same side as the bearing? I mentioned this before the MOT and they said there wasn't any excessive play in the bearings. Also there are a couple of other odd noises, which could be related, sometimes theres a kind of clunking noise, possibly engine mounts? I've read they can come loose, I had my front shocks replaced last year, perhaps they weren't tightened enough? The other noise is almost a buzzing like noise when I change gear, it can just be heard as I'm about to release the clutch completely, so if I dip it very slightly the noise can be heard. Not sure how much use any of this info is, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, as I can't really afford to take it to a garage.

These were the advisories from the MOT, maybe one of these is the culprit?

Nearside front Mac pherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment [2.5A.1c]
    (Clunking noise perhaps?)

Nearside Front CV joint gaiter deteriorated [2.5.C.1a]

Offside Front CV joint gaiter deteriorated [2.5.C.1a]

Offside rear trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement [2.4.G.3]

Mk2 Golf GTI 16v (1987)

Thanks in advance of any help you guys can offer.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. pigbladder Forum Addict

wheel bearings can be noisy and not have any play,been there myself a while back on the polo

3. FSARoyster Forum Member

Cheers for the reply. I'll start there then. Ideally I need to get a friend in the car and try to pinpoint which wheel the noise is coming from, I can't make out if its front or back, let alone left or right. Are there any tricks to identifying which wheel is at fault?

4. nealey Forum Junkie

Mishapen tyres can also cause similar noises to wheelbearings

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

place the car very securely on axle stands,press brake and one one side clamp the flexi hose on the front,start the engine ,put in 5th gear and very slowly lift clutch up so the wheel thats not clamped off starts to turn,slowly accelerate untill 60 mph on the clock then quickly dip the clutch and switch of engine then you have a very fast wheel spinning with no engine noise so you can pay close attention to the bearing noise,repeat same proceduer on other side and it will become obvious if one wheel bearing is shot it will be noiser than the other,if both quiet you can then test the rears,or for the price they are replace them all(rears)

6. FSARoyster Forum Member

Cheers for the replies folks. I like the idea of spinning the wheels fast and testing but with my luck I can see me getting out the car to check and have it fall off the axle stand and all hell break loose :/

Assuming it is a duff wheel bearing, I've looked on GSF and for 15 I can get 2 rear bearing kits, and the guide on here for replacing the rear bearings looks easier than the front, so I think I'll do the simple "jack up and pull the wheel about looking for any excessive play" test first, if that doesn't shed any light I'll do the rears first...

Thanks again

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

replacing rears is easy and cheep,also i once had a bearing noise that sounded like it was coming from the front,after doing the test(which is safe if you support the car proply and take up drive slowly)it revealed it was a rear,iv seen them on ebay dirt cheep ill try find the seller for you,cheeper than gsf aswell

8. FSARoyster Forum Member

Cheers Neil, I have to admit I didn't think 15 was too bad, that's for 2 kits, and delivery is free I believe. Meanwhile, something I forgot to mention, I remembered whilst driving on the way home, when you get the noise, its like you can feel it vibrate through the bottom of the car, I thought originally it was the exhaust banging up n down...

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

10. Supercharged Forum Member

Those FEBI bearings are rubbish - no name ****e from china

They will last 2-3 years max, buy genuine always for bearings!

11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

no name ****e from china could have sworn there made by febi bilstein in germany gsf ones are v tech so bowt the same quality ,i suppose you get what you pay for at the end of the day