worth upgrading the grounding points?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Matt82, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=73496&PN=1

i just read this guide. i think (on the mk3 at least) that the power cables are nearly all 4 guage.

im going to clean up the positive to the alt and starter. the engine earth is defiantely cleaned.

i know the battery grounds the chassis at a point by the NSF wing, ive ive never seen where is actually connects to the car.

is this likely to need cleaning?

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Keep them all clean....... a wire brush and some dielectric grease is your friend.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive got another question then. the HT system. runs at high voltage, therefore any resistance will result in noticable voltage drops due to the high voltages being thrown around.

how about getting a good deoxidiser to clean up the heads of the spark plugs, the connectors on the HT leads (both ends) and at the dizzy to the coil

would you see more volts at the spark plugs and more importantly have a better drive?

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If they are oxidised, then by all means replace them - plug leads are hard to clean up. If they aren't, then just keep them oiled with WD40 or the like, and leave them be.........

5. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

Just out of interest TSC, I've got a set of 16V leads in my 'collection' of junk that I've amassed that have 5kOhms embossed in the moulding - are all 16V leads high resistance or is it later non-K-jet (Digi etc) systems that have these? I've no idea what there were off - but could have been an ABF/ACE engine (a possibility but no way of knowing.)

Just wondering having read Matt's posts regarding resistance in HT system.

Cheers,

Rich

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nearly all are - in fact I've never bought an unsupressed set for a VW!
    It keeps the electrickery in it's place, see..........