would it work?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by drunkenalan, Dec 10, 2004.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

this

on a mk2 digi

2. jc.. Forum Member

NO.
    Because its a piece of sh1t and there is no way an electric motor can produce enough boost to generate enough power to negate the draw of electricity it is pulling from the alternator(and subsequently the engine).

Works just as well as those things that disrupt the air flow, the chips that fit all cars and give 10hp and the "grapefruit" launcher exhausts you see on Saxos.

Belongs in the "innovations" catalogue

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

ok but why not if it lift air pressure, surely thats good

4. AEC303 Forum Member

It's a load of rollocks, and will only work if you have a small engined car.

Think of it this way:

if you own a 1.8 8V engined car, it rest it idles at about 800 Rpm, and if you do the maths, that equates to about 12 litres of air/fuel mixture going into the engine per second. Now imagine your going at full pelt down the motorway, say 6000rpm, the intake is now a whopping 90 litres per second. This "electric pile of crap supercharger" has a maximum airflow of 1282 Gallons per minute. I'm assuming this thing is made by americans (only THEY could advertise THIS enthusiastically) and 1282 US Gallons per minute is about 4850 Litres per minute. 4850/60 (to get the airflow per second) is 80 litres per second. Not enough.

Bear in mind also as jc said, it's gonna put a lot of strain on your alternator.

Don't buy one.

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

[:s] I wouldnt fit one on my car, put it that way ;)

6. AEC303 Forum Member

Oh and just one other point, have you read the technical info? Have you read THIS bit?

The spontaneous response according to KAMANN-AUTOSPORT is the main advantage. the engine has a continual torque and speed improvement. KAMANN AUTOSPORT have tested a 1,4 cc car fitted with the Power-Booster against a 1.6 cc , the same make without the Power-Booster, and came to the result, that both cars have the same power, without the car with the 1,4 cc engine using more fuel than normal. this means the same power as the 1,6 cc but 10 percent less fuel.

I mean, WTF!??!?! The power has increased, but the fuel consumption hasn't? My GOD! This guy's a genius! :clap:

7. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Is there much difference between an alternator charging and not charging? It's not like it stops spinning.

8. AEC303 Forum Member

Yeah, LOTS of difference. You can see for yourself if you start you car, with no electrics on, and then while it's idling turn on the headlights, rear window de-mister, stereo and fan on full blast. You'll notice the engine gets louder and the revs may even drop.

Another fun thing to do (be warned though, you could end up having to jump start your car) is to take off the alternator belt, then go for a drive. it's like dirving with NOZ! :lol:

9. Ben8v Forum Member

Oh and have to get a new head gasket as its over heated due to the fact it doesn't have a water pump!! :lol:

10. AEC303 Forum Member

**Edit: Only try this from a cold start!**

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

ok so its testicle i was only asking

12. AEC303 Forum Member

Thats fair enough matey, you won't learn if ya dont ask! :thumbup:

And instead of just saying "no it wouldn't work", I've explained why it wouldn't too. [:D]

Get yourself a REAL supercharger, they're so much fun!

13. The Pig Forum Member

Only if you don't have power steering......

14. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I guess I've noticed it before, but put it down to lower system voltage aswell. I used to know this sort of stuff [:$]

15. mark25 Forum Junkie

A compromise here is the Freepower Transpower 60, it dissconnects the alternator under heavy engine load. Sensing can be via the WOT switch, vacuum or of a TPS sensor. 165 sheets, 01671 403606 for more info - and NO i don't work for them/have any connection! it was in July 2004 "car mechanics" mag. They recon 12 bhp @ full chat with all the leccy stuff on.

16. c3roberts New Member

yes, as more current is drawn from the altenator it has a higher resistance to motion, therefore requies more power to drive it.

17. Paxle Forum Member

Total junk, any HP gains are negated from the extra strain on the engine from the alt working harder.

I do have something like this hooked up on the intake on my bronco, but that is to draw warmer air from around the exhaust manifold so the engine warms up quicker in the winter. Works pretty good. Engine gets up to temp about twice as fast than just having the normal preheater hose

Now, there is an electric supercharger system out there that puts out about 5psi, but it requires a large bank of batteries, Can only be used in bursts, and costs just as much as a half decent turbo
    Edited by: Paxle

18. flusted Forum Member

a mate of mine built 1 of these things for his 2l 16v rado. used a ducted fan unit from a rc plane and similar motor.it produces 1psi of boost,spins at 50,000rpm and he says it made car alot more responsive

im only goin by wot he says so no female dogin

19. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

what about havin said all that i am running a 95amp alternator and matching battery so now what is the answer

20. Paxle Forum Member

Not worth it,