would you buy a cat c repaired car?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by EADubber, Jan 29, 2007.

1. EADubber Forum Member

as in the title really, would it put you off?
    By the way i'm not selling one, just been offered one and not sure what to do, is there a way to find out what actually happened to it? I've done hpi and just got told cat c repaired in 2002.

cheers
    tim.

2. gorilly Forum Member

i wouldnt... once a car has had a smash they never drive the same. also you have the worry of how well the repair has been done (rust coming quickly etc)

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

if its cheap as a cheap thing, buy it, then if i turns out to be a real dog, break it :thumbup:

4. Grunty87 Forum Member

I agree with jolfa. If its to cheap to turn down go for it. But have a proper check of it first

5. storm81 Forum Member

Yes, bought a cat c mk2 golf last year and repaired it, only damage was a broken steering lock from attempted theft :)

6. damogti Forum Junkie

Thats bollox tbh... if it goes though an mot then it is considered safe and if you know your way round a car you can spot a repair, be it good or bad, a mile off!!

My current car is a Cat c and it drives perfect.... pic taken as i bought it....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  7. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    :thumbup: :thumbup: insurance write offs are great.......

had a few now and i can say i love them....

best to go shopping for one just after a big freeze or some snow!!!...

i`m sure my mk2 has been involved in a large bump at somepoint during it life and it drive better than most i have been in...

edit - some people who aren`t in it for the money keep photos of before and after the crash so any future buyers can see whaat the damage was like

8. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I had a cat C MR2 and it drove fine. The engine was fuct, but that had nothing to do with the repair.

I was told (admittedly by the guy who sold it to me) that cars come back from a good jigging straighter than they do from the factory and certainly straighter than a motor that's been on the road for 10+ years.

9. richellis Forum Member

cat 2 are ok if repaired right. Have a good poak arround if you can get it on a lift brill.
    Remember they are only worth 75% cars without salvage history

10. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

I'd buy a cat c if the money was right, the car in my sig was a cat c before I bought it, 150 + 100 to repair and MOT it, cheap motoring for a couple of years (it's dead now tho).