Would you fit these bushes? (pic inside)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by timotei1980, Jan 17, 2014.

1. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Purchased some polyclassic rear beam bushes but one of them has a moulding defect, extra material in some places and not enough in another. i.e. inner hole not round through out its entire length.

The story is I brought these to change over the xmas break as I was replacing the rear brake lines and the bushes were an advisory on its last MOT so I thought a few more bolts and I'll change these at the same time.
    Any way got around to doing the job and noticed the fault as pictured below but by then I've already taken my car apart. Of course its xmas so companies closed etc, manage to get in contact but they have no stock so I wait a week and in the mean time I send the faulty ones back. Get replacements though today only to find they've sent the same ones back to me. Back on to the company again and they say sorry we will send replacements but they are still not in stock so could be another week (I've had to borrow a car for the last 2 weeks, now probably another week).

They phone me back and say they can give me a partial refund and that the bushes are still suitable for use but I have said I'd rather have bushes that are 100% as I do not want to do the job twice.

So would you fit these to your car? I'm certainly not happy with the quality and I'm sure they would not be excepted if it was a similar situation with an OEM part by VW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.
    Tim.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Tim,

Personally I wouldn't - if they look 'off' so to speak I would rather not take the chance, bushes are not that expensive and if you are going to fit them then be happy with what you're installing.

3. mono matt Forum Member

Yeah just stick them on ;) once their in and the bolts are through they'll be tight.

Remove the snots with a new metal drill bit by hand if your overly worried.

Either way, if your old ones got an advisory it'll feel 100 times better. :-)

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

they look a bit cheap but as said by matt above they will be a 1000 times better than you have just now
    best thing i did to my tdi fitting powerflex bushes

just put lots of copper slip on them

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  5. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Don't they have inserts? They will be fine. There poly and bushes rubber for a reason so they move.

6. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

bush split after first drive

Well I waited for a replacement bush for the faulty one and fitted it straight away once it had arrived.

went for a drive and could hear a knocking noise coming from the rear left. I assumed it was the exhaust knocking as I had had it off whilst fitting the other parts. fitted new exhaust hangers and made sure it was not going to contact anything. Another test drive and it was still knocking so I got under the car to find this
    [​IMG]

Has anyone experienced this before?
    Before buying these bushes I did a search and a few people recommended these but I'm now starting to think they are cheap s##t and tempted to fit standard OE bushes.

7. mono matt Forum Member

Well you can clearly see a bubble in there right where it ruptured :-/

Really not you day is it?

8. MUSHY 16V

Aye that's no good I have powerflex bush's fitted all round on my mk4 TDI
    Done 30 to 40k on them and are still fine
    I'd get your money back and get different ones if it was me
    And put it down to a bad experience

9. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Haha, tell me about it.

The company who sent me the bushes actually sent me a new pair and said keep the old pair so I have got a spare good one, well it looks good from the outside!

10. MUSHY 16V

One thing to remember is dont tighten the bolt right up till you have weight of the car on the ground
    Or you put more strain on bush as you end up twisting it

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Toyotec likes this.
  11. mono matt Forum Member

Top tip :-)

12. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

i would fit powerflex, much better than that cheap looking rubbish, there is an old moto thats says, "do it right do it once", so powerflex are expensive but they are good, fit and forget sort of thing
    i have done a few on the front of my car and they are solid no problems at all.