wrong oil?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by 20vtmk3, Mar 24, 2008.

1. 20vtmk3 New Member

This may be a stypid question to those in the know, but can the wrong grade of oil cause low oil pressure. eg putting semi synth in instead of fully synth?

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Not to a significant extent. Look elsewhere for the cause.

3. golfpaul Forum Member

what car?

4. 20vtmk3 New Member

Car is a 2001 audi s3, covered just over 106k. just had full service, new oil pump, new pick up pipe and oil pressure sensor. Car was running fine before the service thats what made me think that its the wrong oil thats been put in.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

do you know what oil was put in?

is it the car's own oil pressure warning that is going off or are you using a different sender/gauge?

oil wise i think they should be using quantum golf (5w40 fully synth) or that 5w30 fully synth long life stuff.

if the sender etc has been replace, worth checking to see if the wiring has been damaged.

no chance that its a damaged oil level sender?

6. 20vtmk3 New Member

The oil that was put into the car was motul 10-40 but ive been told by a lot of peaple that it should have been fully synthetic, sonething like mobil 1. Changed the oil pressure sensor, no joy warning is still on. Unless theres another sensor that i dont know about i dont know what it can be. Checked the wiring all seems fine. Thanks for taking time to help, much appreciated.

7. 20vtmk3 New Member

Could a dodgy oil level sender show up as low oil pressure, The garage put a pressure test on the car and it only showed 2 bar at 2000rpm.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

a lot of the 20vt engines serviced by vw were filled with quantum synta (10w40 semi) so it works within that engine just fine.

silly question, but how do you know its a pressure warning?

9. 20vtmk3 New Member

It comes up on the dis that its the oil pressure, the oil level is a diffrent symbol. Do you personally think that if i try this oil it will make any diffrence to the low pressure? Not trying to put you on the spot mate, just hopping for some positive feedback.

10. 20vtmk3 New Member

Just had a call off the garage, They drained the oil, gave it another flush, put vw fully synthetic and a geniune filter and shes as new. No oil pressure warning and no tappet noise, so glad i didnt go for the big end bearings. Thanks to everyone that replyed it was much appreciated. Thanks again.:) Tony

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

I very much doubt oil would make the difference....perhaps they noticed an error they had made but haven't owned up.

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Or the flush opened up a partially blocked oilway...