wrong radiator?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by nooilpressure!, Dec 27, 2005.

1. nooilpressure! New Member

I think I may have been given the wrong radiator by GSF. [xx(]

Everything looks the same on the new rad apart from one of the plastic endcaps has the fan switch hole facing the engine (on old rad it faced the passenger side wing or battery), the length is the same but the main thing i'm concerned about is that the new rad is 30mm thick but the old one was 40mm! Surely wouldn't this reduce the cooling?

Does anyone know which ones correct? Cause maybe the car had the wrong rad on before but I wanna make sure I don't cook the engine! is there normally a part number on the rad somewhere as I can't see any numbers on it?

almost forgot.... 1981 Mk1 golf, EG 1600 gti

Cheers

tim

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

sounds ok to me m8,the thickness is probably compensated for by having a diffarent flow rate or something.

fan switch facing the bulk head/windscreen is right too,or do you mean on an angle facing the engine?

maybe ask them? just to be sure.

neil. :)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Aye it doesn't matter where the temp sender faces as long as you can get the plug to reach :) On the MK2 it faces towards the engine defo.

It may be thinner cos its an aftermarket one rather than genuine VW, but it should still be perfectly capable of keeping the 1.6 cool :)

4. nooilpressure! New Member

cheers guys, I'll check just in case but didn't wanna cook the shiny rebuilt engine!!!

Tim