WTF is an ’electro change over valve’?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by vdubya53, Jul 19, 2004.

1. vdubya53 Forum Member

had a look on etka and found its name!!! mounted on the drivers side inner wing is a small electrical box ( about the size of 2 match boxes on top of each other) it has a breather hose running to it and another back out again. it is also wired to the 'mains' :lol: ( well it has an electrical supply anyway! ) what is it for? what does it do ? can i get the two hoses and connect them together and by-pass it if it is to be made redundant ? cant find any reference in haynes etc and cant see any piccies of one either ????!!! help im confusedmikey

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

it's a valve that... changes.. over.. the.. er... electro... thingies :)

3. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

Had a quick google and not found much.

But it appears to be an electically actuated valve of some kind.

Aparenty a the "wastegate frequency valve" on a turbocharged caris really a "Electro-Change-over-valve.

So that leads me to suspect it's used to control the preasure from wherever the hoses run from. I'm guessing it's ECU controlled too so might be a necessary part of the system.

But heck what do i know *shrug*

4. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

5. vdubya53 Forum Member

forgot to say - mk 1 cab!!! same as julys 'GOLF+' the red cab featured has one on the drivers side strut tower!!?? mikey

6. Ben8v Forum Member

I have a similar thing on my MK3 (which incidentally I just had to replace) 2 pipes, one comes from the vacuum and one goes to a charcoal canister mounted in the inner wing which has another pipe on it returning to the engine.

I believe its called a purge valve and it has something to do with the emissions system.

Dont know if its the same thing your talking about though.

7. hayesey Forum Junkie

ah right a purge valve.

it's part of the fuel tank breather system. I've just got rid of the whole thing on my car & left the fuel tank to breathe to air as on mk2 Polos.

This was because I needed to use the space the charcoal canister fits in to put my 2nd air filter.

the one on mine had no electrical connection to it though. just a clear pipe from the charcoal canister & vacuum pipe & a bigger pipe to the inlet manifold.
    Edited by: hayesey