WTF is an AAL 2.0 16v?!?!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by H8SV8S, Jul 4, 2004.

1. H8SV8S Forum Member

My brother has just got one of these ex South Africa in a Mk1 Golf. I read an old post on Vortex saying it is like a 2.0 KR and has the KR top end - inlet cam, 50mm etc etc. I was looking at the motor yesterday before reading this info (presuming it's true) and noticed that it's a 1.8 head (narrow wall in the intake ports), inlet manifold and rocker cover, all on a 2.0 block.

If it has the KR cams, it will perform similar to the ABF - given that my ABF had about 160BHP out of the box, we could be on a winner with the AAL!!! I was going to fit my ABF cams, but seeing it probably has the KR ones, there's no point!! I'm looking forward to getting it running!

Can anyone confirm any facts on the AAL pleeease? [:D]

Cheers! I'll post pics when it's on the road (a couple of days I reckon)

2. matt d Forum Member

I have one. Where did the engine come from. That engine code isn't even recognised by main dealers in this country [xx(]

3. H8SV8S Forum Member

It's South African...No one knows what they are - at first I thought it was an 8v bottom end with a 16v head (8.5:1 arrgh!!) but then was confirmed it IS a true 2.0 16v.

I'm still waiting for the specs from a guy in South Africa - I'll let you know!!