WUR Mod - Golf GTI 16v

Discussion in 'Engines' started by kaiser_solsay, Apr 25, 2007.

1. kaiser_solsay Forum Member

Hi guys,

What is the WUR mod and how does it work?

2. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

3. sixteenvalver Forum Member

yea but what do you actually achieve in doing this???

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

its ajusted for optimum fueling under load

5. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

the WUR mod....is it really?

i dont think this actually does alot at all this doesnt really control the fuel pressure its on the metering head that really makes the difference.....there is a compressed spring behind a screw u can take this out and compress it more.....this is what i have heard and been shown.....somebody put me right lol

6. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

The WUR has two funtions it causes enrichment during warm up and then maintains the control pressure on top of the metering head plunger.

How far the plunger moves in repspect of the air pushing against the metering flap determines the air/fuel mixture ratio that the engine gets. The WUR controls this pressure.

The Metering head controls the system pressure, ie the fuel pressure that the injectors see, the amount of fuel that comes out of the injectors is dependant on the position of the slits in the metering head plunger.

So the WUR mod simply alters the control pressure and hence either richens or weakens the mixture right across the rev range. K-Jet often runs lean at higher revs and therefore engines benefit from checking and getting the control pressure spot on.

However you will need a pressure gauge to set it and prefably a gas analyser to see the effect of the change to control pressure. That is why you really should combine the "WUR mod" with a rolling road setup so that you can see the mixture throughout the rev range.

The WUR mod is not limited to the 16V WUR, although it is easy to do with the 16V one. You can modify the control pressure settings on an 8V WUR by drifting the supporting spigot in or out - it is a ball ache because you have to keep taking the WUR apart, move the spigot, put it back together and test again.

7. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

cheer for that mate i put a 16v in my mk1 and it hasnt got enrichment device in so shes not running properly so i need to get all these for it to work right.....cheers for the info tho mate much appreciated

8. dubst16v Forum Member

my mk2 valver went from 144bhp to 153 bhp must do something lol

9. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Wur mod is a must if you haven't got it done.

10. Matt G Forum Member

i read a few post's a while back about this, someone even said it was the best mod they had done.

what kind of effect does it have on torque?