WUR mod

Discussion in 'Engines' started by d?ft0n?z, Feb 21, 2005.

1. d?ft0n?z New Member

what is involved in the WUR mod exactly? have a set ofKR cams and planning to swap it myself as soon as possible.

*and izzit just me, or the 'search' function always return a"timed out" error message?

2. Guests Banned

i oftern worry about this WUR mod but i've been told i already have it with my valver??

when you search make sure you just search 'topic title' instead of 'message body'

:)

3. d?ft0n?z New Member

..been looking at that search function but it always return "timed out"..my bad![:$]

4. chris green New Member

I've only been on this site for a few days, but have heard this WUR mod a couple of times already.

What is a WUR? [:s]

I have an 8v GTI, from what I can tell, if I fit a WUR from a 16v, then I can adjust it? is that right? how much would one cost?

5. Tarmac Terror Forum Member

WUR = Warm Up Regulator.
    In simple terms it adjusts the fuel pressure when the engine is cold, but on some WUR's they also had a vacuum pickup so that under load it would alter the fuelling to allow for richer running. The 16V WUR needs to have the back drilled out to allow access to the adjustment screw which then allows for some "fine tuning" of the fuel pressure via the WUR unit. Cost wise, if your lucky and can find one in a scrappy you might get it for 20.

Hope this helps ;)

6. smithy Forum Member

Search in Topic Subject only.

The WUR mod invlovles drilling the brass globe on the back of the warm up regulator to reveal a 4mm allen screw. This allows you to alter the control pressure which in turn increases fueling throughout the rev range (valvers tend to run lean at high revs). 48PSI at hot idle is meant to be the optimum setting, you will however need a fuel pressure gauge to set this up. Its also a good idea to setup the system pressure at the same time. You'll also need access to a gas analyser to as every change knocks out the CO setting.

I've setup my KR motor and it certainly made it go better and run a lot smoother. Check my post about it HERE, some useful information in there. You can also run a bit more timing advance without pinking due to the increased fueling.

Recardo - unless your WUR has been drilled open, you wont have the mod done.

7. d?ft0n?z New Member

what's the maximum fuel pressurei can run,lads? and the default fuel pressure?.how big shudthe drill hole be? and where exactly shud i drill on the brass globe?anyone got pix of the finished item?

8. d?ft0n?z New Member

ah..shud've clicked the link first before askin'..! thanks fer the link smithy! everything's needed isthere.:clap:(except fer the placement of the drill hole, i think?) thumbs up fer the upcomin' DIY WUR mod guide FAQ mate!

Edited by: dft0nz

9. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, i'll do the step by step guide as soon as i've fitted my 2.0 block. The hole needs to be drilled right in the centre of the brass globe, think I used an 8mm drill bit.