WUR question...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by DocMk1, Dec 11, 2003.

1. DocMk1 Forum Member

Could having rust/water in fuel from a dodgy filler neck knacker the WUR on my MK1 Gti (1.8 8v)? I ask because my car is displaying some symptons of the WUR being b*ggered, but this part was replaced relatively recently (within the last 2 years).

Edited by: DocMk1

2. GTI

GTI Forum Member

Have you checked your fuel filter? It's meant to stop crap getting into the metering head, let alone as far as the WUR.

3. DocMk1 Forum Member

Thanks GTi. I had to have the injectors changed after the fillerneck had rusted, so crap obviously got through the whole system.

4. mk1. Forum Junkie

did you have the petrol tank cleaned out at the same time?

5. JonH New Member

If the tank is full of S*^"t then you will get symptoms like a knackered WUR.

I dont know if there is a lift pump in the Standard MK1 (There is one in my Cab). If you get crap in the tank then the first restriction is the filter on the end of the Lift pump in the tank, this blocks up.

Its worth checking what type of filter this is.

One type is like a Diamond Tea Bag shape on the early cars and the later one is like disc shape with a gauze facing the bottom of the tank.

The VW catalogue specifies that the later type should be fitted 'in all applications'.

Your filter will stop rust bits getting though but it wont stop water !

You can tell if a load of water has gone through or not when you look at the back of the injectors after you've split one from its supply line. They will be red/brown in colour.

The WUR has a metal gauze filter just after the banjo nuts so one of these could be blocked.

Then again you could check your fuel pump relay is'nt on its way out !! :)

Hope this helps ?

Jon

6. baxter basics Forum Member

derrrrr, wots a WUR?

7. GTI

GTI Forum Member

Warm Up Regulator, part of the K-Jet system.

On the front of the block on an 8v or on the side of the head on a 16v. On an 8v allows adjustment of the mixture to compensate for changes in engine temperature, on the 16v it is also plumbed into the vacuum system to allow both engine temperature and air flow (i.e. engine load) to be compensated for.

How that!! There has been loads on discussion on this forum and elsewhere that explain all this in great detail and at great length ;) .

8. baxter basics Forum Member

ah ha

I have digipants so can only relate to an ISV.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

9. DocMk1 Forum Member

Thanks muchly for the replies. To answer your questions, the fuel tank wasn't cleaned, it was replaced!! Have also replaced the fuel pump relay.

Will check out the gauze on the WUR to see if its crappy.

Ta again

Bill