wurr

Discussion in 'Engines' started by joeb, Oct 7, 2007.

1. joeb Forum Member

ok. a few weeks ago i was on here asking about a whurring noise coming from my engine.
    we came to the conclusion that it was the steel back plate behind the camshaft pulley area.
    so yesterday i stripped it all down. cam belt covers lower pulleys, steel plate and small plastic plate on top.. so basicaly just left the cambelt on.
    ok started the engine for a quick diagnostic. and the bloody noise was still there!
    im pretty sure now that the noise is coming from the cambelt tensioner.
    this has only been making this horrible whurring noise since we fitted a new tensioner. which i bought from the dealers.
    so im confused? is this a new bearing sound? doubt it or is there another explanation for this. sorry for the ultra sized essay lol.[:s] :lol:

2. Jacob New Member

Give the belt a bit slack. Just a tad - bit and see what haps.;)

3. joeb Forum Member

cool. i gave the belt a quick wiggle and it does feel quite tight. is there meant to be play. really really dont want the belt to start slipping teeth lol. could it being too tight cause this noise as it would sound about right

4. joeb Forum Member

hello?

5. Jacob New Member

If the belt is to tight it make some noice, something like what you explain.Twist the belt on the long stretch with your thum and forefinger.You should be able to turn it 90 degrees and it should be pretty tight.If you can't ....it might be to tight.Let the tensionwheel move 1-2mm to slack and do the test .Start it and listen.Play with the tension a bit while doing the test and see what happens.If that doesn't help slacken the belt of so you can inspect the tensionwheel , sideway-play and all that.See how you get along and let us know.:)

6. joeb Forum Member

cool. just popped out and felt the belt. i cant twist it almost 90 degrees but not quite. if i slacken it of a tad. will there be any risk of the belt coming of?:) im alful will timing lol

7. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

They need to be pretty loose before they slip teeth. I make them that I can twist to 90deg ok, and a bit more if I put loads of effort into it.

If it's too tight, you'll end up burning the tensioner bearing out or snapping the timing belt, you may have noticed it getting quite hot if it's tight.

8. joeb Forum Member

slackened the tensioner off abit earlier and all is spot on now. two thumbs up to you guys[:D]