You can't beat the MK2 feeling!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by lowrider, Jan 8, 2011.

1. lowrider Forum Member

Finally got the new MK2 on the road, and WOW! [:D] Having not owned one for around 4years (before that MK2's were pretty much all i'd ever had), you just can NOT beat the feeling of driving a nice MK2! I forgot just how good they are! Being a mechanic in a busy garage i drive many different cars all the time, mostly modern VW, Audi, BMW, Mercs etc, and none of them compare to driving a well sorted MK2. Mine now owes me 500 on the road, and is a pretty much immaculate big bumper 3dr 8v in Tornado Red, bought cheap due to a blown core plug and radiator (due to the radiator leaking, and the consequent topping up diluting the antifreeze, it had frozen up, popping the core plug out). Build thread will be in members gallery soon.:thumbup:

cupracraig likes this.
  2. Collie Forum Junkie

Good news its on the road,stop teasing and put a pic up now!

3. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

nice one, a good start to your year, been driving a sierra 4x4 for the past couple of days as my mechanic has my mk2 and i miss her badly.

4. Collie Forum Junkie

xr4X4? love em,!!!!!

5. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

i know what you mean im only 23 an ive had 5 mk2s aleady lol an they have all been gtis lol now im looking for another as my other halfs havein mine lol but want one with a vr6 lump in or a abf in :) .

6. retrowhore Forum Member

I have a 120 ratty Mk2 8v GTI. The wife hates it. Its awesome. :)

7. Dubtastic Forum Member

Mk2's are awsome!:thumbup:;)

8. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    dohhh why remind me, just as i have virtually made up my mind to get shut!!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

9. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

I was saying to my sisters fella earlier how much I miss my MK2 as he's just bought one. The good news is he has a similar reputation for killing cars as I do, so chances are I might get it when he's had his fun [:D]

I really aught to finish the one I have though I suppose... One day [:p]

10. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

I'm saving to get mine back on the road with a lot more torque than it has now

11. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Love my 16 valve, spent a small fortune on it but nearly sorted now. Took it on longest journey so far last weekend only Northampton to Tewkesbury and back, on their way home the left hand sill cover fell off, no damage was only going slow.

12. sports racer Forum Member

My Aussie spec GTI (a whole 95hp and 3 speed auto) does over 200 ks per day - love it but it really needs a 5 speed conversion and a few more hp.

[​IMG]

13. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

I was just thinking the same about mine today! Second one only but a 10 year gap! Love it. Sat in traffic for 1.5 hrs this morning. Popped the sun roof open, hit some B roads. Loved it!

14. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Loving mine too, latest job yesterday was new front hub and bearing due to stripped thread. Bit of a pain, first of all realised 5pm Friday I had been sent wrong hub and bearing by GSF, got the right bits Saturday and up till 11pm putting it all back together. The threads in the the other hubs are full of crap so bought a tap to clean them out. The topran hub had the thread for disc retaining screw badly cut at an angle so had to drill new hole and cut new thread. Just got to put my refurbed RAs on and ready for a blast. Also trying to purchase membership, but it isn't working, can anyone help?

15. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Yay - the best. Owned mine for years although it had a major resto. Not a daily car but never fails to put a smile on my face. I dread the day I have to part with it.

16. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Must admit I love my mk2 even though its done over 200k and had 13 previous owners and no history it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it its now a 2L though :thumbup:

17. watercooled Forum Member

Wow never heard of an auto GTI,good looking car ,whats the engine code on the 95hp motor ? is it a carb motor?
    I was driving my gti before started full resto recently,still a real fun drive and IMO a brilliant piece of car design,something lacking in latter generations.

18. sports racer Forum Member