you lot with twin carbs on 8v's

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by drunkenalan, Sep 27, 2007.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have a set of bike throttle that im going to get sorted to fit my 2.1 8v, Few questions

1, what is the angle of dangle of the carb manifolds compared to the head?

2, How long is the inlet system, from trumpet to head?

3, how long is your intake trumpet?

2. prof Forum Addict

there was a great thread on vortex about this, cap'ndub i think did it all
    had the throttles in a downdraught position, and had figured out the harmonics etc

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

prof cant find it, or anyone by he username can you help me out?

4. prof Forum Addict

i had a look earlier, but couldn't see it either, in the rev ranges you will be looking at they thought the typical throttle body manifolds would be too short

his was a J bend type thing with the bodies vertical

was in a mk1 8v, and originally posted in the mk1 forum
    but must have been 2 years ago now

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

im going to try and keep it something like the weber manifolds and weber setup. just wanted a few measurements doing.

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

The general rule of thumb on a competition engine is to have the inlet tract length at around 320-330mm, measured from the end of the trumpet to the valve seat.

The generally available manifolds (Mangoletsi) for the 8v are around 3 inches (75mm ish) long. Measure the length from the valve seat to the manifold face of the head with a bit of welding wire (I've got it written down somewhere from when I measured mine but it's easy enough to do), add the length of the throttle bodies into the mix and subtract the total from 330mm to get the required trumpet length.

You could have a manifold custom made from tubular steel in a more downdraught format in conjunction with a commercially available trumpet length to achieve the same result. The main problem is the clearance between the head and the bulkhead, you wont get much more than 330mm in there, and thats without filters.

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

The Weber type manifold's work fine, even with the bends in them (I use one at over 190hp so it should suit yr road type engine without any problems).

In the case of the Mangoletsi manifold (the most common one available in the UK), it can be made to work fine when ported out, it just need's a fair bit of work. Rowlands manifolds in South Africa make one for the 8v, maybe better to start with.

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

im not sure on the spacing of the bodies, However to recreate something similar would be nice, I dont really want to start buying a manifold just to cut it up, its not like they are cheap! where as a pb manifold is!!

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

any pics?

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Is this what yr looking for ?

[​IMG]

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

yep thanks

12. mookie Forum Member

I'd imagine having the trumpets pointing into the cabin must make for a pretty loud time in the cabin? How impractical would this be for long distance travel?

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

It does... and very !... especially in a striped to the bone MK1 :lol:

Would'nt be as bad in a road trimmed MK2, but I'd still say it would get tiresom after a while.

I'd certainly run an air box as a minimum with carbs or t/b's for regular road use, or stick to a plenum with the metering head removed and mapped on a throttle pot... I'd still expect to see 160-170hp plus strong torque from a 2ltr based engine with all the right bits.