**** you windows!!! hello linux

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by tinydubs, Sep 7, 2011.

1. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

I`ve just binned windows entirely from my laptop, and i am now running Ubuntu(linux).

having tried to get a genuine windows xp copy to solve slow running i gave up when a friend of mine recommended Ubuntu, Its so easy to install,free, has no viruses so no need to pay for antivirus, comes with its own version of office and has apps to download the same as android

it can run parallel to windows via USB if you wish to try it

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah I've been using Ubuntu for some time. I still need to use Windows for work so my machine is dual-boot.

I'm still using 10.10 which is the last release that came with the GNOME interface; 11.04 came with Unity and not many people seemed to like it. However, 11.10 just released seems to have improved a lot. That said, one can always install 11.10 and the interface be changed to something else if you don't like it.

Yeah Ununtu is an excellent distrubution that I'd recommend even to a non-tech user; it's a great distro that the family can just use.

3. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

What about using play on linux or wine? the only thing that is causing me stress now is the wireless printer setup.
    i`m about to setup autocad and feature cam when i get a spare hour at work

4. Trev16v

I must confess I've not dabbled much with PlayOnLinux or Wine; I just boot into XP to run the only Windows software I ever need, which is an embedded programming IDE for work.

Otherwise all the stuff I do is done using Linux software anyway: OpenOffice for documents, Inkscape for doing vector graphics stuff (which is a bloody brilliant application - does the equivalent of Illustrator), Gimp (equivalent of Photoshop), Eclipse IDE for doing Java / Android development, etc.

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Have you tried Windows 7 Tiny?

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

If you're really bored, and have the right hardware, you can always build a triple boot system with Windows, Linux, and OS X.
    Or Linux with VM Ware for Windows. Not sure if you can install OS X in VM Ware. Hmmmmm.

But back on topic, Ubuntu is very good.

7. mat-mk3

I have[:D]

8. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

I've got ubuntu 11.04 running on my netbook. I find it nice and easy to use. I found when the wireless wasn't working if you can plug in the ethernet into your router it will automatically find some wifi card routers and update for the version you are running

9. andypaterson Forum Member

As said, Ubuntu is a very good Linux distro. Easy to set up and use, but can be troublesome when things go wrong or dont work (wireless being the main one for me when i was using it as my main OS)

For the casual user, i can't see it as being anything other than a pain in the long run though, IMO. Especially when Win7 is as good as it is.

10. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

I'm a kubuntu user and it's amazing, the 3d rotating cube desktops brilliant. I just boot into xp pro when I need to use some windows specific software. Can't get the media player to play anything though. But worth the effort when set up right. But not quite as user friendly as windows yet unfortunately.

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Cool. I have a Hackintosh running at the moment, but I may bin that if this works well enough. Did you use the redmondpie distro, or do it yourself?

12. andypaterson Forum Member

I was very much impressed by the cube desktop. I think it was Ubuntu 7 (Feisty) and Beryl, running different things on each face of the cube, one for video, one for music, internet, word processing etc. All the wobbly window effects and things were nice too. Never actually found i used it in a real-world setting, but was nice to show off.

13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'm an innocent abroad to all this , when using linux etc , what does your screen display look like?

14. andypaterson Forum Member

[YOUTUBE]FIMO0eglEJA[/YOUTUBE]

Skip to about 5:30 to see what it looks like.

15. Trev16v

The range of desktops you could have is almost limitless as it there's a mind-boggling number of distributions, and a wide number of 'desktop' (front interfaces) that you can use.

However to put it quite basically, if you install something like Ubuntu, the display and desktop and everything really is pretty similar to what you're used to in Windows or Mac, i.e. you have the task bars, desktop icons, application windows, and so forth.

The best way to think of it is that the front-end interface (what you're looking at) is considered a separate component to the Linux OS itself. Earlier versions of Ubuntu such as 10.10 that I'm using right now came with GNOME by default, which provides you with what in basic terms is pretty much Windows-ish. Latest Ubuntu however has Unity which, I dunno, tries to be kind of tablet-ish.

You might want to try Kubuntu as suggested above because it installs with the KDE interface, which again you will take to very easily coming from Windows.

16. mat-mk3

I tried giving it a go myself but there are so many builds of OSX you can never find the right one.
    In the end i downloaded the VMware torrent so it worked straight away:thumbup:

I only downloaded it to look at app development...And not opened it again since:lol:

17. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

cool , in my head i had visions of something like an old DOS screen....

18. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

When I spec'd my new box, I made sure all the components were Hackintosh friendly, as I wanted to do the same.
    I now have enough spares that I could build up a second box, so that became my Hack. It's built with XCode installed. Will I ever use it? Only time will tell.

I got the redmond pie version up and running in about an hour earlier today. All good. :thumbup: The only thing I need to change is the graphics, as I'm currently stuck with 1024 * 768.

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

You may shortly be hearing from Messrs Sue, Grabbitt & Runne about this :lol:

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i did dabble with linux a while ago, and i found that when its working all is fine and dandy. but if something goes wrong it so much of a massive pain in the ass that i gave up with it and went back to windows, i dont have time for scrabbling about in unix prompts these days :lol:

I just dont see the point of it for me, all i use my pc for is gaming and web/email, and id rather not have to deal with emulating windows to play these games when i could just run windows instead and have an easy life. plus any new hardware will always work fresh out the box (usually) :lol: where you might have to wait/fiddle to get it on linux.

same reason i stopped using my Amiga really, fed up of not having the newest games or waiting ages for a port to come out. plus having no hardware, having to hack up all kinds of bodgery to get a new graphics car, scsi and other good stuff into the A1200. as soon as half life came out that was it I bought myself a PC! I still play on my amiga emulator now & again plus i can now play amiga games on my phone :lol:

Windows has come a long way from NT/2000, 7 is pretty awesome I have to say. but its still windows, lots of things are still far too difficult! you only notice when you try to tell someone who isnt computer literate how to do things on messenger or the phone :lol: