Your favourite golf.......

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Mk3sheff, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Mk3sheff New Member

....and why

Mk1= Sorry simply dont do it for me, they are too squared and dated
    Mk2= Probably the best- its a legend that motor. looks ace when tastefully modified
    Mk3= Again, lovely car. Can't choose if I prefer mk2 or mk3 they are both nice in different ways.
    Mk4= Never bothered me, its quite dull and boring really
    Mk5= Just dont know what the hell to think of on this one. Up to now the GTI is quite nice but I tend to think Mk5 have got one hell of a fat arse!!!

2. Dubya Forum Junkie

MK1 = the king, brilliant drivers car, if a little lacking in refinement.
    MK2 = more refined than the MK1, and therefore losing some of the grin factor, but never the less a very good all round car. Also has the added bonus of being available in bright blue metallic to a select and lucky few.
    MK3 = Oh dear, the golf appears to be developing middle aged spread.
    MK4 = Overweight, underpowered, VW need to think about what GTI really means.
    MK5 = Looks like they thought about it. GTI is quick, handles very well, yet manages to be super comfy with it. Great car. I want one.

3. stew72 Forum Member

Driven them all and mk1 still the best.

4. jjarvis Forum Junkie

[|)]

Mk2 :thumbup:
    Mk5 :thumbup:

5. hayesey Forum Junkie

mk1= the original & best! absolute icon of a car.
    mk2= bit more refined, still best overall car of it's era. They look great too.
    mk3= just not the same appeal as previous models. Too heavy & much less of a driver's car.
    mk4= apart from the R32, underpowered & boring to drive. More of a motorway mile muncher for business men who had mk1 GTIs in thier youth.
    mk5= again heavier & bigger but somehow manages to pull it off. Styling isn't the most imaginative but the GTI model looks good & supposedly goes well & handles well. I would happily buy one if I had the money.
    Edited by: hayesey

6. AlexB Forum Member

my fave golf.. that's a hard one. I love mk2 16v's, even when they're standard they're good fun.. mk1's are awesome, but they feel old now.
    I'd love a mk5 gti.

ooh.. rallye gets my vote though ;)

7. Dogwood Forum Member

Dubya said it all really.

8. Dub20vt Forum Member

like all models of golf for different reasons.

mk1- original iconic hot hatch
    mk2- great car much like the mk1 but slightly more refined.
    mk3- quite heavy but a great commuter, lost some of the raw feel
    mk4- mile muncher. nice refined car but lost the 'gti' appeal
    mk5- can't really comment at the moment cos i've never driven one. but from the reviews it seems to be pretty good.

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

mkI - simply great fun...just totally unsuitable for everyday use these days.

mkII - overated...i always find the steering is seriously lacking in responsiveness (tho im told pas cures this)...are a bit of a challenge on the limit mind...but then again, thats cause its hard to react quick enough on the steering if the rear steps out! seriously manky interiors...wtf were vw thinking when they designed the dash.

mkIII - prob the best compromise of the lot as a daily driver....with a susp kit are serious fun to throw around, very forgiving, and very comfortable with a perfect driving position (thats with recaros and a steering wheel spacer mind)

mkIV - the compromise has gone a bit too far towards the comfort side of things, prob a set of arbs aor susp kit will make them much better, but ive never experienced a modded one. not a surprise so many people own them.

mkV - have only sat in one, seems well made. cant comment any further as of yet.

10. cliveyp Forum Member

MK1 - The original....... no more to be said.
    MK2 - My personal favourite but not an everyday car IMO
    MK3 - Fantastic everyday mile muncher. Comfortable, but can keep up on the twisties once modded. VR6 obviously the best bet!
    MK4 - R32 still a potential VR replacement for me, the GTI's.......only in name.
    MK5 - FANTASTIC! Comfortable yet firm, and extremely well planted under spirited driving. The next MK1!

11. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i don't like golfs :(

12. Chris H Forum Junkie

I like the 3 wood best i think, closely followed by my 5 iron :)

13. b'locks Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol:

14. b'locks Forum Addict

err looks wise my fav is the mk1 although they are absolute sh1t to drive, sorry.

mk2's are nice but nothing that really makes me wanna get one unless it's got stupid power.

mk3's are like mk2's with rounded curves, more safety, a lot more refined and fast with a vr6 engine in. Yeah I'll take that one please. [:D]

15. lewiscypher Forum Member

For me each has its own character and virtues

only driven versions 1-3 dont know about the later ones, driven a mk5 TDI , impressive but didnt stir my soul

mk3 3- underated I liked mine a lot not the fastest meachine but a good alrounder, undeserved of its slating. i fi was to tour Europe/ Britain I would choose this ( with suspension upgrades ahem)

mk 2 my daily driver unbeatable balance of practicality low cost and driver satisfaction, sadly theyre getting long in the tooth and harder to find in good form.

mk 1 In many ways flawed, dodgy brakes ( solveable ;) lousy refinement, temperamental at this age, noisy rough and doesnt like modern stop start traffic conditions, but get it on the right road and let it loose and there is nothing like it, I never stop grinning ( except when it breaks down) and the attention never ceases to surprise me [:D]

Real world intrudes though how much hassle unreliabilty and time unnder it are you prepared to spend?

16. Seraph Banned

i dont have a favourite golf, theyre all sh1te! [:[]
    [:D]

17. Raven Blue In Delete Queue

Mk1 is where it all began birth of the Gti (not very nice to drive)

Mk2 Probably my fav an icon of the 80's

Mk3 Snore,snore except vr6

Mk4 The worlds best diesel 150bhp fantastic

Mk5 jury still out

18. Seraph Banned

:clap: soooooo true!

ps ..welcome to the forum dude, enjoy ur stay!
    Edited by: Seraph

19. AndrewF Forum Addict

i dunno...audi do some great bigger capacity TDi's, mate has a 2.4 in a cabrio a4 and its not bad at all.

20. mk2_oxford Forum Member

the mk4 150 diesel is a good car, the mk2 16v is a classic but then the mk3 vr6 has the looks and the power.

mk1 is still cool so its a hard choice