Your Help needed

Discussion in 'Engines' started by glyn8v, Jan 4, 2006.

1. glyn8v New Member

hi!

Im new to the site and realtively new to golfs (got my first one in october) so was wondering if anyone could help me? Ive got a mk2 gti 8v, over the xmas period i did some straight forward sevicing work, change the oil, plugs, coolant etc etc. Since changing the oil my oil temp has risen from a nice 90 to 98, are there any reasons for this? And also the coolant warning light keeps coming on even though it has a good water to coolant mix and is above the min level? Any ideas guys/girls?

Regards

Glyn

2. Carl loader Forum Member

I've also got a mk2 8v, and to be honest, its always had an oil temp of around 96 - 100 when cruising, then when you give it a bit of stick, it might go up to about 102. What oil did you use when you did the service? Most of the guys on here use volkswagens own Quantum Synta Silver oil (i do to and never had any problems). Using other cheaper oils tends to make the tappets rattly after a while

As for the coolant warning light, make sure that the plug which plugs into the top of the header tank is firmly fixed, or that the wires from this plug haven't broken in any way. If this all seems ok, it could be the coolant level sender itself which is part of the header tank, and can't be changed unless you try another header tank

Hope this helps

3. diggerbucket Forum Member

98 is nothing to worry about, totally normal :thumbup:

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

for the flashing temp light,try unplugging the sender in the expansion tank and then bridging the wiring loom side.drive around for a bit and see if it still comes on,if it dosnt then it points to the sender in the tank being duff.

neil.

5. glyn8v New Member

thanks for your help guys much aprriceiated! Does using the VW oil make a real difference, i went into Halfords and brought there standard 10w 40 5L for 18

6. gti_kev Forum Member

Synta silver is only around 13 from GSF! and is the oil VW used on the engine!

7. pwoiks Forum Member

i have a mk2 8v gti and have owned it for just over a year and the oil temp on mfa has always read 84 when cruzing and when giving it some the fan cicks in at 92. is this normal or not. ive recently put a 2.0 bottom end on it (2E) and the temp is still the same.
    rich