your opinion on this leak

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Matt82, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

[​IMG]

i took the pic when the gbox was out. at the bottom of the pic you can see the top of the flywheel. top left is the water temp sensor (for the ecu), to give you an idea of the angle.

see the oil thats leaked down the side... is that due to that (possibly) oil pressure sensor maybe? (the one with the white plug/single black wire)
    http://www.picturevillage.com/photo/showpic.php?uuid=3557&aid=24049&pid=340011

2. markone2L16v Forum Member

Could well be. The one on my 16v was ****in oil all over the place for ages before i finally realised what it was! They just split open where the spade comes through the plastic. If not then it could be rocker cover gasket...

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

rocker cover has been done, im going to do that thing next.

what exactly is it called and am i best off getting it from VW or is ECP/GSF any good?

4. markone2L16v Forum Member

I got one from gsf as i was pretty skint at the time, but if you can i'd say go for VW stuff. should be readily available, if they don't have one they can normally get stuff within a day or so.

I think it's the oil preassure switch, but not 100% so just give them your engine code and say what/where it is. They should be able to work it out!

5. Bundles Forum Junkie

I would go for one via VW tbh, that way you know it's 100% the right settings for your car, when mine went on my 8v it went big style and i ended up with a 115bhp oil pistol!

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well thats another thing to fix. the new clutch is in plus engine mounts (2 weeks off the road, me in a 1.2 clio = OMFG), so got it back for the first time today.

the brake pedal is travelling half way to the floor before anything happens... so its bleed time, and ive got no fluid. will hunt out some good stuff i suppose.

feels so nice to be back in a responsive fun car again!

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

having had a look at the pic of the leak again, it looks like the oil starts from a source possibly higher up than the oil sensor.

what else could leak above the oil sensor, other that the rocker cover gasket?

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Distributor possibly. They leak internally when the seal fails. Does the car ever sound like it misses slightly on a cold start? Happen when oil collects into the distributor cap.