Yup another "what alarm have I got?" post

Discussion in 'Security' started by PurpleGolfGirl, Jun 25, 2005.

1. PurpleGolfGirl In Delete Queue

Ok this is my 1st post on here so please be gentle with me ;)

I've just purchased my first Golf and apart from being highly excited I am confused as to what alarm/immobiliser is in it.

The car is a 1997 R reg Avantgarde cabriolet (and yup it's in my fave colour purple hehehe). I haven't taken delivery of it yet (4 days and counting) but have sorted the insurance.... almost!

The ins. co. say it must have a "Thatcham category 2 or higher" alarm/immobiliser... I've had the poor salesman pour over the car and we can't find anything that states what the fitted alarm is! I have 30 days to either confirm it is cat 2 or I have to get one fitted or my insurance is void.

Sooooo I am hoping one of you lovely people can shed some light on this for me please :)

Many thanks in advance, Purple Golf Girl

(P.S. Highly embarrassing but I don't even know what "mark" this car is - I think it is a 3 but am not sure of that either. Being a newb is soooo embarassing lol [​IMG] )

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Alarm unit will be fitted under dash probably and I believe VW themselves sold different alarms around that time and also it may be non-VW so unless you can get a look at the control unit you may have a problem identifying it.
    You could get a letter from garage saying it has appropriate alarm which would let you get car then you could amend it from there.

3. Collie Forum Junkie

Go and visit a main dealer with all the cars details Reg Chassis no. etc, if it was a vw fitted job they will be able to tell you i think. Any way you can get cat 2 alarms/immobs for less than 90 quid fitted these days. so dont despair.

4. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

We were all noobies once!
    1997 would make it a MK3 so you're not as much of a noob as you though.

5. essee Forum Member

Welcome!

Yeah, like Dave 2227 said, you might have to look under the dash for the control unit (a little box with wires coming out of it). This may mean unscrewing the glovebox, which isn't too difficult...

Other than that, the siren box under the bonnet may have a name on it too... this is usually fitted on the passenger side, probably behind the header tank (engine water bottle).

Have you owned a Dub before? Do you plan on making any changes to it, like wheels, etc?