Zone Alarm - the free version

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by stella, Dec 7, 2008.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

This week I updated ZA (I think it went from V7.something to V8.something and now IE won't work on my main PC.

I've rolled back, reset the IE settings, removed ZA altogether and still IE won't work. My FTP proggy still works and there doesn't seem to be a problem with my wireless network, which is giving a strong signal.

So I guess ZA has upset my PC. Anyone else had a problem with it?

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Ive not used ZA but this can happen on my work machines when i update norton. The firewall blocks a process called "Svhost.exe" This needs to be allowed for IE to work.

What firewall are yo using and take a look at the setting to see if that is in there.

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Well I was using ZA freebie (plus a wireless router).

Yesterday when I was looking at Task Manager, I noticed that there were about three lots of something called svchost.exe in the list of tasks. Sp what should I be doing about it?

BTW, I've deleted ZA altogether and gone back about a week's worth of restore points, but still no joy with IE.

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I also use ZA and recently had problems signing into hotmail, I tried this (from the microsoft live website):

1. In Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    2. Follow the steps for your browser:
    * If you have Internet Explorer 6, do the following:
    1. On the General tab, click Delete Cookies, and then click OK.
    2. Click Delete Files, select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK. It may take several minutes for the files to be deleted.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Restore Defaults.
    * If you have Internet Explorer 7, do the following:
    1. Under Browsing history, click Delete.
    2. In the Delete Browsing History window, click Delete all.
    3. Select the Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons check box, and then click Yes. It may take several minutes for the files to be deleted.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Restore advanced settings.
    3. Click the Security tab, click the Internet icon, click Default Level, and then click Apply. Repeat this step for the Restricted and the Trusted zones.
    4. Click Trusted Sites, click Sites, and then clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.

have you tried using firefox instead of IE?

I've got 6 svchost.exe's running in task manager :/

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Will - thanks for your advice. I tried doing all that sruff you said and still no joy with IE, although my FTP stuff still works, so not problem with connection.

I'm rather crap at IT stuff to do with being online and I'm always terrified I'm not going to get online at all, so tend to work along the the lines of if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'm getting a new PC before Christmas, so am trying to hang on until that arrives, then I will reformat the works PC and start again. However, as IE isn't working, I may as well try Firefox and will go and investigate now.......

I hope they have instructions for blondes .................. [:$]

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i sacked ZA about ayear ago. it made the systme laggy and had update issues

i moved over to comodo firewall and had no issues since

7. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Amazing! I've installed Firefox, rebooted and here I am!

Will just go and find myself a new firewall (and hope that in the meantime, no-ones emptied my bank account without one, although they'd not get far with what's in it!)

8. andypaterson Forum Member

There is usually alot of svchost.exe entries in the tasklist, mostly they will be normal. If ZA has blocked it then that will cause problems down the line!

9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I hate bloody computers! Since I wrote that, it wouldn't connect again (Firefox) and said everything was timed out. Have rebooted and managed to get back, but expect it won't last.....

Am really trying to hang on until new PC arrives, then can spend time on it. It's so annoying, having to go downstairs and balance keyboard on my lap if I want to go online....... but my FTP proggy won't work on that PC, so have to transfer stuff on this one.

Grrrrrrrrr.................. [:x]