Zone alarm

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by thebluebus, Sep 28, 2005.

1. thebluebus Forum Junkie

When i fist used it about a year ago it used to say it was blocking access attempts all the time. Now its always on 0. Is my computer really not recieving anything it needs to block or is it not working properlly?

Is Black Ice any good? Good firewalls with detailed logs?

thanks

2. cros40 Forum Member

ive been told Aone alarm is useless,i used to have it and it blocked a couple of programs i wanted to use to so i deleted it and they worked after that.

3. superden Forum Addict

ZoneAlarmPro is great [:D] :thumbup: [8D]

4. thebluebus Forum Junkie

i've got pro...and its...well, its ok

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I stopped using it a few years ago, started using daft amounts of cpu and was generally crap when they upgraded (downgraded?) to version 5. I use Sygate now and it`s great!.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I just use the standard XP SP2 one, works well enough! Had a problem with ZoneAlarm where it would handily blue screen the PC when you plugged a network cable in, pretty secure if you ask me :thumbup::lol:

I used to use Kerio years ago and it was pretty awesome :)

7. dershan Forum Member

i stopped using zone alarm too

switched to norton internet security....works well :thumbup:

8. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Define well? Well as it doesn't tell you anything is wrong? Well as in it contantly interrupts what you're doing to remind you it's there? Well as in your pc takes so long to do anything any more attackers get bored of waiting and go elsewhere?

I hate Norton products with a passion (you may have noticed [:$] ), they're just so clunky, invasive and inefficient. I'd rather build up a good collection of viruses and have to reformat once a week than put up with spending my life waiting for norton to allow me to do anything on my pc [:x]

9. Jeff Forum Junkie

I would like to know what everyones basing their judgement of how good their software firewall is on.

The way I see it, unless your PC crashes all the time because its not doing its job (and that could be because you've allowed everything accesss to everything) then its working well. But some are more of a PITA than others in terms of interrupting you and getting in the way.

the thing is with a software firewall - they usually only inform you about things they have stopped and do NOT tell you about things they think are OK and subsequently let through, whatever they are...