Zorst cam mod lump idle?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Vduber, May 31, 2005.

1. Vduber Forum Member

hiya guys

I've done the zorst casm mod to my 2l valver (myself) [:s]
    anyway. I cut the sprocket off and i also cut half of the dizzy end down so it was like stock. then i put it in with lots of oil and set the cam up so on number 1 cylinder the cams face each other like this / \ the normal exaust cam was lines up so i matched the modeed cam up with it. the dot was about 100 degrees off.

started car up and car car ideals is very lumpy but it revs really freely. when i'm on the road and i put my foot down it just goes. its just the ideal is very lumpy. Is this normal?

Cheers

Jack

Edited by: Vduber

2. flusted Forum Member

Did you modify the keyway in the chain sprocket to correct the timing?
    Mine idles silky smooth at 900rpm

3. smithy Forum Member

I cant seem to get a smooth idle using twin exhaust cams even with the hotgolf modded chain pulley, but yours is probably so lumpy because the timing is slightly out (you havent re-machined the key way). I managed to smooth it out a bit by tweaking the ignition timing, CO and control pressure.

4. breeze Forum Member

As the guys above really, you will need the sprocket keyway recut to get things lined up.

It is very common for the guys in the US to do this mod without the sprocket but as you have found this does not really give a nice idle. Do a search on vwvortex for more info.

I bought a hotgolf modded cam just over a year ago for my 1.8 kr w/pnp head and it idles perfectly.

5. Vduber Forum Member

must just be slightly out. revs like a good one. I'll take it to get it rolling roaded see whats up with it. Ive only lined it up with rack of eye against the zorst cam. Probable a midges dick out.

Jack

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Mine was originally done by Stealth and idles as smooth as standard KR cams.