ZX9R carbs again, few more q's?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Jolfa, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

I'll get there in the end with these...

Which jets do I need to drill out? I gather main jets, but I really need a picture or accurate description of which ones they are, where they are, and how to get to them...

Ta!

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Unscrew the float bowl, it`s the brass jet in the centre of the carb. Should have 120 or so stamped on it (the jet size). The needle from the throttle slide points directly into it if that helps.

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Brilliant, cheers!

They say 165, so I'll leave them at that for now, see how I get on...

Next questions -

- Where does the fuel go in? Theres a lot of pipes, I don't know what does what [:[]

- Are the mixture screws the screw next to the float cap like it is on the r1 carbs?

- Roughly what mixture should I be looking for in terms of turns of the screw (just to get it going at least)

Ta!

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Pilot air screws are the little slotted head ones. On a bike the base setting is one and a half turns out from fully in , this normally does the trick and doesn`t need altering.

You can alter the throttle needle heights as well if you have part throttle lean spots.

May be an idea to buy a book on tuning bike carbs, would be money well spent.

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Brilliant cheers for that, have you done ZX9R carbs yourself before?

I'll probably get it tuned once I get it going in the first place, but I've gotta get that far first [:$]

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`ve had a few sets in bits and tuned a couple, nothing major though. Basically all the Superbike carbs are practically identical in function, so you get a feel for it.

You may need to alter the idle fuel jet in the carb (the little jet with a slotted head, probably around #40 stamped on it) but you won`t know until it`s been set up.

Once you know what everything does they`re not difficult to set up, haven`t had any experience with them on cars though, only bikes.