Golf mk2 GTI 8v to 1.8t AGU, mk4 dash and wiring Updated 13/02/11

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Kav1187, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Gaz16v Forum Member

Have you had any trouble with the rx8, we work on they all the time at the bodyshop rusty archs, sills, boot lid. and don't they have a flooding problem[:s] nice build by the way.:lol:

2. Kav1187 Forum Member

Thanks guys [:D]

Mk1 driver, cheers mate...I really need to learn how to use ETKA lol.

Gaz, no major problems with it so far. Mazda have a recall on the arch issue - they spray it up with underseal or something to stop it from rusting....that reminds me - they forgot to book me in to have it done at my last service. I haven't experienced engine flooding either, but on hot days, in slow moving traffic...the gear shifter does tend to get stuck and either gets difficult to change gear, or won't let me get into gear at all [:s] This has only happened twice but bit worrying eh?

OOOOOOOooohhh just noticed you work in a bodyshop...where and how much for a respray for the golf? Mates rates of course lol :thumbup: [>:d<]

Can anyone help me with the remaining 'mystery' plugs?

I had a look on ETKA and on the pic with the ECU wiring, it does show two plugs - one with 4 pins and one with 5, which plug into the 'ignition transformer'. What that is I don't know, but I imagine I'll need to get hold of it sharpish if I want this baby to start up any time soon.

That only leaves the 3 pin connector in the heat pouch...any ideas?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  3. steved Forum Member

I've got an ignition amplifier in my Garage if required removed from an AGU loom. The plug with the silver heat protection is for the speedo drive.

4. Kav1187 Forum Member

Thanks Steve, you saved the day :-)

Got a little update tonight...I caught up on loads of odd jobs so not much to take pics of...

As I'm getting to the point where I'm about to put the dash inside the car, I need to think carefully about what wiring I will need in the future. One thing that has been bothering me since I got the car was the broken aerial, so I decided to get it out and wire the new one in while everything was apart (I had to pull the wheel arch back anyway to get the indicator wiring in).

I couldn't unscrew the old one so cut through the metal nut...

[​IMG]

My choice of new aerial. I know it won't be the most popular option, but I like my gadgets and an automatic aerial is cool to me B)

Cue the 'dodgem' jokes :p

[​IMG]

The aerial fits nicely in the space. The bit I circled in red had a conveniently placed screw bit poking out which was ideal for the earth cable of the aerial...only problem is that it came out when I tried to unscrew the nut I put on it lol. The bracket below the aerial came with the kit...was just the right length to reach one of the bolts for the wing - the aerial is sitting nice and firmly in there....will take a pic of it once I get the head unit in there and working.

[​IMG]

Next job was to fit the coolant bottle. The original coolant bottle was pretty much the same except the wiring plug connector is a different shape. I decided to make the new one fit in the position it would be in on a mk4. I used the original bottle's bracket but had to modify it a bit...

I just rounded off the bit on the left (circled) so that the breather part of the bottle can fit on.

[​IMG]

Fitted nicely

[​IMG]

Even the bottom bit went into the slot provided...

[​IMG]

Turns out that the place I wanted to mount it (on the driver side strut) was too high so had to modify it a bit more (didnt take pics but I basically chopped a whole lot more off for it to fit around the contours of the strut)

[​IMG]

I'll take more pics of it tomorrow.

One last bit that was unanswered from my previous thread....Where on earth does the wiring for the MAP sensor come from? There are no more wires on the ECU nor are there any on the driver side loom...nor are there any remaining on the engine. Where on earth is this wire? I can't find it on another loom that I personally removed either :o :blink: :wacko:

I need to order up an FMIC. I REALLY hope that the plumbing that comes with it will fit straight in....I'll be broke for a while. This is the one I was thinking of - I'm told that it has a fixing point for the MAP sensor.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FMIC-VW-GOLF-...ryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But seen a slightly cheaper one (not sure if it is as good...less pipes)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VW-GOLF-M...ryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys reckon?

5. Kav1187 Forum Member

I forgot to post a pic of the e.aerial when it was fitted the other day...

Looks shiny and new :)
    [​IMG]

I managed to get hold of an FMIC today from Fatboy. I went straight to the garage to try n fit it. Here's how I got on...

[​IMG]

I had to cut into the plastic fins on the bumper to make room for the FMIC...I cut the red part not the bottom skirt.

[​IMG]

This is as far up as I can get it at the moment. Not good, because when I put the slam panel in, it will be even less room between the bumper and the crossmember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View from the front. I think those fins will have to come right off...they look crap as they are.

[​IMG]

I'm going to have to do a bit more trimming. I'll probably have to cut into the metal bracket of the bumper, as it bends round too much and doesn't give the FMIC enough room to fit in.

[​IMG]

I will probably do a bit more work on this on Sunday...really want it to fit behind the bumper. Hope it doesn't melt it though :blink: :(

The ignition amplifier that Steved sent me arrived today -

[​IMG]

When I fitted it I realised there's one more wire that I must not have seen last time...it's on the same part of the loom. I had a look on ETKA and looks like it's for the altitude sensor but I'm a bit of a tard when it comes to ETKA so can someone please confirm? I thought the altitude sensor was somewhere on the engine? Anyone got one lying around?

[​IMG]

Got some more bits arriving tomorrow so more updates to come...

6. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Really good thread mate, looking forward to more updates.

7. mk28vICED Forum Member

wow just read the whole thread love it, lots of work but you clearly know what your doing.
    good luck finishing it off!

8. Kav1187 Forum Member

Thank you very mich [:D] I didn't really know what I was doing when I started...I learnt as I went along...all makes sense once you've broken it a couple of times lol.

I got this air filter kit through today...it's supposedly for the 1.8t, but seems to have only one outlet on the side. From memory, the original air hose has two or three outlets...does anyone have any idea how it's supposed to be fitted? I'll take pics of it later.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Kav

9. Collie Forum Junkie

nice work mate

10. HidRo Forum Member

You can get the Baro sensor from a Fiat Uno. Can't remember the exact model, but if you look on the web for the part number, you will find it.
    I used the bosch site to get the car list that uses it.
    Got mine used for 20€.

EDIT:
    Just a quick help

This is for a AGU
    VAG: 853 919 562

Universal Bosch number: 0 280 101 001

HTH!

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  11. Kav1187 Forum Member

Thanks for your help Hidro...I may well go for the Bosch one as I can't seem to get hold of a VW one.

Here's a pic of the induction kit that arrived...There are hoses etc as well, but this is the good stuff. I'm not sure where the little filter is supposed to go?

[​IMG]

I figured out how it's fitted...the long pipe fits AFTER the MAF, so it takes the air filter right upto the grille. I thought it connected straight to the engine. Anyhoo, as a result I've forgotten about the nice shiny chrome pipe and have just put the filter straight to the MAF. This is where I was hoping it would sit.

[​IMG]

Anyhoo, thought I'd connect up the air con pipes tonight as I'd forgotten to do it before I put the engine in.

[​IMG]

They bend just at the point where I was going to have the header tank. Not sure what to do as I'd like to have the tank next to the turret.

[​IMG]

More pressing issues at hand...The refrigerant piping goes under the slam panel. Wouldn't be a problem, but it's pushing up against it, which I don't think will pass the extended MOT test (can't remember what it's formally called).

[​IMG]

And now the worst bit...The thin air con pipe runs straight into the hole where the headlight will be sitting. It won't reach the condenser if it sits this far up. Not sure what to do. I don't think you're supposed to cut/weld air con pipes. Does anyone know a car that has air con pipes better suited to the mk2 engine bay?

[​IMG]

12. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hi Guys...

Quick update from me. It's not gonna be the most interesting of updates as I spent most of the weekend sourcing parts and doing the wiring...

I'll start with the interactive part of the thread first..

Any idea what this cable is for? It's the last one that I haven't identified. I tried following the bends in the wire and it looks like it goes to the driver side, across the engine...could there be some sort of sensor around the PAS pump? It splits off from the starter motor wiring.

[​IMG]

Good news about the air con pipes too! I was told that it is much like copper piping for the brakes, in that it can be bent by hand, as long as you do it very slowly and gently. After a little while, I managed to bend the pipes into a better position. I will take a pic when I've fited the other bits and shaped the pipes properly.

I figured it was time to put some fresh oil into the engine and change the oil filter/spark plugs...did it the old fashioned way..

[​IMG]

Random pic of me putting the wheel back on

[​IMG]

Time to swap the fuel tanks over. It needs the mk3 tank (same shape as mk2 one, wider neck for mk4 fuel pump).
    Off it comes

[​IMG]

The mk2 fuel pump...won't be needing this anymore, as the mk4 fuel pump is with the sender unit that goes inside the tank.

[​IMG]

Here's the difference between the mk3 and mk2 tanks.

[​IMG]

Fuel pump fitted and new fuel pipes connected...

[​IMG]

I took out the old fuel pipes that ran to the engine and put in the mk4 ones...

[​IMG]

Only problem is that the mk4 fuel tank is under the rear seats, whereas the mk2 one is under the boot. I will have to extend these. (breather hose is nice and long though...that reached ok.

[​IMG]

Everything lined up nicely. I even got to keep my original locking petrol cap.

[​IMG]

While I waited for new fuel pipes to arrive, I got cracking with the interior. Removed the seats, threw out the piles of rubbish that built up over the months and gave it a good hoover.

[​IMG]

Looks worse than it is lol...notice I cut out the middle section of the bulkhead to fit the air duct for the windscreen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  13. BigBumper New Member

Nice one

Great thread hope it's as good to drive on your trip as it all looks, fancy doing the same to my old dub once you've done that one! can't wait to see how this one finishes.

14. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

FAPPING FANTATIC!

Ive just spent the best part of 30mins reading this thread and i admire your amazing skills and mechnics for doing this.

I WOULD love to do this, but i just a) don't have the skills or tools etc and b) the cash!

Amazing mate, well done and keep it up!!!!

15. marcgti16v New Member

WOW!

I can only echo the above comment.

Great effort fella and a fantastic thread, keep up the good work!

16. Kav1187 Forum Member

Thanks guys [:D]

There haven't been any updates for a while as I've been busy with 1001 other things. I'm slowly getting the wiring done...the rear lights/boot have been done (not tested yet so my brake lights might set off the indicators).

Still not sure what to do about things like the electric windows and central locking etc...whether to use the original wiring or my old 'after market' stuff.

Only other jobs left now are to connect up the intercooler, find a suitable rad and fill it with the necessary fluids to get it moving [:D]

17. haf1zur New Member

Wow, just came across this, what a fantastic project, my plans are simlar
    Hafizur

18. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Alot of Great info mate, will be getting on of them tanks for my own car
    Great topic and project.

19. Admin Guest

need more updates!!! what a project![:D]

20. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hi All....quick update. It's not really that interesting as it's mainly been routing all the wiring etc.

I got another set of short (blue) fuel pipes and extended the ones that came out of the fuel pump. They just clip together. I routed them around the areas where the old mk2 pump was bolted in.
    [​IMG]

Looks neater in real life. This black pipe will connect to the fuel filter. I need to fabricate a bracket somehow.
    [​IMG]

As with the fuel pipes, I also had to extend the fuel pump wiring (Mk4 golf's fuel tank is under rear seats where mk2 is under the boot)

[​IMG]

The rear seatbelt that supposedly passed the MOT a week before I bought the car...anyone got a spare one?
    [​IMG]

I had to connect the mk4 wires to the mk2 rear light connector. Fortunately all of the colours were the same...we'll wait and see if they ARE the same when I connect the battery lol.
    [​IMG]

Mk4 wiring routes around the mk2 quite nicely
    [​IMG]

I got some new bumpers last weekend thanks to Mookie from this site. My rear one has a big hole cut out of it where the car must have had a tow bar and the front one was massacred by me trying to fit too large an intercooler. When I took off the rear bumper, I noticed that my GTI one had this mahoosif bar on it. It's a heavy bugger and probably slows the car down some...but I decided to keep it in the interests of safety (The car will be driven around Europe after all!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly I had to make a suitable bracket to hold the altitude sensor in place. I decided to chop a bit of the cross-section of the scuttle for the sensor to hang from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at the ABS pump all connected up....I call it Medusa! I'll tidy up the pipe work at some point in the future....maybe when the car gets a spray job or something.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the boooooring update...will get a bit more interesting when I get round to fitting the intercooler etc and hopefully starting the engine!