Oil Cooler options - Mk2 2L 16v (pics)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Stu, Aug 15, 2005.

1. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Gary where did you get the sandwich plate mate, I need one

Steph

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've ordered the whole kit from Rally Design mate.

You can buy the individual parts from them, DT or Think automotive.

RalDes called back to say that one of the parts is out of stock and will be a couple of days before they get it in, I guessed right with the 1/2" fittings tho! :lol:

3. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Have you got any contact numbers please :p , Being a pikey and all, I got my cooler and braided pipes for a song.

4. GVK

5. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

:thumbup: 10.55 just sorted,

6. matt d Forum Member

The thermostat you can buy with the sandwich plate dont always work all that well and seem to be open all the time. I had a dodgy looking plastic flap fixed to the oil cooler itself to keep the airflow from it. I would tuck it out of the way when i did a track day.
    If an engine change is imminent just wait and see how hot it runs when you fit it.
    As Gary pointed out, just because it's a 2 litre doesn't mean it will run hotter than an average 1.8.
    I think 13 row cooler is sufficient for most people.

7. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Has anyone fitted a cooler without using the standard water & oil heat exhanger ?, as my car is in bits i am going to try it without the heat exchanger i have sized it up and it seems to much of a difference in the width of the sandwich plate and the heat exhanger, perhaps i need a spacer plate or something ?

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Duff, couldn't you use a Mk1 oil filter housing as that has the direct connections for the oil feed/return to the oil cooler as far as I remember?

Presonally I would re-new/re-fit the heat exchanger in addition to the sandwich plate though as it helps your engine warm up quicker at startup which presumably cuts down wear/makes your heater work better/improves fuel economy... unless it's a track only car?
    Edited by: Stu

9. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Yeah i don`t use mine for work any more so its ok to remove the standard cooler, its just track stuff really. the size cooler i have was perfect for a 1800 but i think it needs a bigger one for the 2.0 , i am seeing 110 on track now and would like to get it below 100 may help me get a bit more advance out of the thing and more power. Could use a mk1 item if i could find any, i will have another go this weekend and see what fits

10. steve r

steve r Forum Member

pics of mine here

13row 235mm with a stat plate. oil temp stays around 90 on the motorway and hits around 112 on track

bought from think automotive can't remember exactly how much but i think it was around the 130 mark

also a few pics of my power steering fluid cooler on there that i fitted after a day at combe when i overheated it and came in from a session with most of the fluid down the wing of the car [:s] been fine since [:D]
    Edited by: steve r

11. GVK

Mine arrived today :p

12. GVK

Steve,sounds like yours doesn't get that hot really, considering the oil cooler is partially blocking the path of air to the rad.

I was going to mount mine so it's behind the cut outs at the bottom of the bumper, as Tris has.

PTFE tape on the pipe threads would be an idea I think?
    Edited by: GVK

13. GVK

Tris, have you got a larger rad than a standard 16v?

14. GVK

Fitted my 13 row 235mm Mocal oil cooler today, I would do a step by step write up with pics, but forgot to take my camera to work with me,doh!

Stripped out the front to give me some room for fitting, bumper, grille and slam panel complete, I worked around the cross member, but would have been easier to take it off out of the way,as fitting the thermostatic sandwich plate screw/nut was a bit awkward, used a flexi-head ratchet with a deep socket in the end.

I had to raise the front of the engine with a spacer (read couple of M10 washers)on the front EIP tuning solid mount as there was hardly enough room to screw the filter on, I have left the original oil warmer (heat exchanger) connected to aid in quicker warm up.

I mounted the cooler to the lower right hand side of the rad, made up some simple little L shaped brackets which I mounted onto the cross member and bolted the cooler to it with the supplied M6 bolts and lock nuts.

One of the fittings onto the cooler kept leaking, kept nipping it up a bit more and running/checking it, seems to have sorted it, was worried the cooler was going to split!

Even driving around locally the oil temp is noticeably cooler and as it's cooler, the oil pressure is higher at idle when hot that it was before.

Just hope it does the job on track.

Added some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Nice, cool running

I am still waiting for my kit from Rallye Design, then I will bolt mine on next weekend.

16. GVK

Added pics

17. Oplaii Forum Member

Looks good :) bit more room at the front their in a mk2, my pipes off the plate are touching the rad cowling in a mk1.

Mines also a tight fit for the filter.
    Before
    After

18. GVK

I did read somewhere you can use a BMW filter which is a bit shorter, no idea what it's from though.

I would've liked to twist the sandwich plate round a bit more but the stat was touching the steel coolant pipe that runs across the block anyway. One thing I did do which I forgot to mention above was relocate the resistor that's rivetted to the chassis near the tow-eye as the braided pipes would be rubbing against it,I rivetted it behind the OS headlamp in front of the airbox

I temporarily cable tied the cooler in place until I found the best place for it, where the pipes wouldn't be kinked and not fouling on anything.

The bottom pic looks like the cooler is hard on the cross member, it's just the camera angle, it's miles way from it.

19. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Looks good gary , i am a step closer to getting mine sorted again this time without the heat exchanger. I cant belive your still running that rad gary

I was looking around on the net the other day as i am wanting to add a oil cooler to the rallye and it has a different oil filter to the 16v (longer) and remove the heat exchanger from the 16v and came across this thread on the corrado forum http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4559
    It shows the deleted heat exchanger and lists the VAG part numbers

New coolant hoses, to delete stock oil heat exchanger:
    1 x 026 121 053G
    1 x 068 121 063M
    ( this is for a 8v remember, i am not sure if the pipes are the same or not )

Golf oil filter pipe stud for fitting Mocal oil sandwich plate:
    1 x 059 115 721

I have ordered this stud today so hopefully its the right part we shall see

Edited by: dUff

20. GVK

Don't do what someone did on Vortex and plug the 16v pipes :lol: Car got warm and shot the bungs out :lol:

If it still gets hot on track I will get a bigger rad.