super charging a 2.0 8v tall block

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by vee_dub_modder, Nov 7, 2008.

1. mrcarter New Member

very interesting thread. i'v wanted to do it to my 2lt 16v k jet do people think that the g60 ecu n loom idea would work on my 16v?

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

anyone run the 2ltr 8v on stock CR with an E45?

3. dukhqan Forum Member

not me, I used 2 metal head gaskets on 8.5 CR with stock internals :thumbup:

4. Mr Lp New Member

Eatonmk2 has a similar setup, minus the g60 ecu. The car is very quick from what I hear:) But he still hasn't taken me for a blast in it yet[:$]

It can be done on low boost, but I wouldn't. Minium CR should 9:1:1 or their abouts. Personally I would run 8:5:1 CR, you lose around town drivibilty to a point, but you gain because you can run more boost safely.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

We have run 16v engines with STD compression and M45 and 62s, but your det limit is lower than with lower compression, thus more spark retard must be dialed in which will reduce final flywheel torque. Still much much faster @WOT, than a N/A engine of the same family.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. Toyotec

It is really just a cost and resource problem.

7. badger5

std compression of the 1.8t motors (150/180) are 9.5:1 which can run 1.5bar boost peak, so I am not convinced the drop in CR by one point from stacked gaskets is going to be required. E45 charger boost is'nt that high is it?

whats a mk3 2ltr 8v CR?

thanks

8. Toyotec

@10.5:1 you will need to. I had enough trouble to get my own 2.0 8v right. And that is a N/A vehicle.

9. chris hall New Member

HI,if your going for a supercharger,have a word with andy of storm developments.He has just done an 1.8 8 valve gti,the basic set up made about 185 bhp using a rotrex charger.I fitted one to my mk 4 2.0 8v and its up to about 260 bhp and 240 tourqe.Andy is the man for all things supercharged.you can get him on 01189 810963

10. Toyotec

Yeah at a 'cheap' 1800 pounds and a estimated 185bhp on an 8v digifant with an AFM.

11. badger5

we will see how i get on with it.
    i would rather dish the pistons than stack gaskets personally.

will be interesting to see how it goes.
    cheers for the info

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

Mate of mine has just picked up a tasty mk2 8v gti which runs a Rotrex charger. Basically runs the standard DIY kit (installed professionally though) and runs on standard management. Even has standard air box any everything from visual.

It essentially is a Rotrex charger on a standard 8v mk2 engine, no intercooler either as running very low boost. Currently making 185hp on the dyno apparently, spot on as per Rotrex's website. He can turn up the boost but will need stronger internals, intercooler and possible sort out the ECU.

Might have to ask him as can't remember if he said a spacer was used to adjust the CR.

Not sure how much difference the kit would be for a tall block as the charger used on his mk2 8v is the same as the charger used for other cars

13. Toyotec

If you are concerned about squish or overall combustion shape and the effects on controlling cylinder pressure I would just change the pistons as I am not too sure how much pressure the piston can withstand with a thinner crown. Its not budget but if done with the rest such as rods, reciprocating mass balance etc, you would have the base for a more serious base engine.

14. Mr Lp New Member

:p

15. badger5

its not my car, and does have a budget.
    my ibiza ran skimmed std pistons for 35K miles on 1.6 bar boost, ~340bhp, so unless they are very thing crowns I would hope they will be sufficient.. Will measure up first tho of course.

stack gaskets drops it about one compression point I hear.. which is approx 1/8"-3mm
    those measurements sound ok?
    (not thinking of removing 3mm off the crown btw.. too much)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  16. Dicky_morris Forum Member

couple of questions regarding fuelling...

Obviously the standard injectors can only fuel so far before they are maxed out.. what sort of power can we see before the injectors on a standard 2e are maxed?

Bosch 440cc injectors seem quite expensive on the bay for someone doing it on "a budget" what cars run injectors that will fit into the standard fuel rail on a 2e/agg for example 1.8t injectors? saab injectors...

Does the fuel pump need to be upgraded or will it quite happily run an m45 all day?? if so does a vr6 one fit.. will vr6 injectors be ok to run with the eaton in the 8v fuel rail etc...

can you use a rising rate FPR and fool the standard ecu etc ...

Cheers [:D]

17. dukhqan Forum Member

well, for me, I used the G60 Injectors, fabricated fuel rail with two 3 bar external pumps (taken from 300SEL Mercedes Benz), and adjustable regulator, that was more than satisfying for this kind of upgrade.

NOTE: I worked on my ECU to accept MAP not Air-Flow.

18. Dicky_morris Forum Member

Did you Fab your own fuel rail because the g60 injectors wouldnt fit into your normal fuel rail...

Why are you running to external pumps.. i have a facet redtop racing fuel pump and filterking FPR but i dont know if i need to use them...

With regards changing the ecu to accept map.. how did you then adjust the map for the car as i thought they use eprom's with a standard map with only limited adjustment and unable to handle large changes in boost etc...

Cheers Dicky

19. dukhqan Forum Member

I did the fuel rail cuz, I couldn't find the right one, maybe there is some fuel rails that would fit, but due to my location and VW modification parts, I had to do my own, it was bigger and customized to fit the Adjustable fuel regulator at the end of it as one part
    I got the two pumps for free :thumbup: and I was on budget, so I used them.
    NOTE: they noise as hell

Am not that much into the ECU, but I got it changed to MAP by a friend of mine, if you want I can get you more details.

20. dukhqan Forum Member

the setup I used wasn't the IDEAL one, I had to force more fuel using the pumps and regulator, if you want the ideal one you can go for the G60 setup, or MS, I had the SC magnetic clutch supercharger, when I used to press the button you can smell the over burned fuel from forcing it.
    that was quick, fast, and strong, but not reliable and safe [:s]