super charging a 2.0 8v tall block

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by vee_dub_modder, Nov 7, 2008.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the 2e dizzy is a 4 window and the AGG a 1 window if my memory serves me correctly

2. Dicky_morris Forum Member

Am i right in assuming that the crank position sensor works like a trigger wheel does and this is the reason why there is only 1 window on the dizzy, that window being the reference point for tdc?.. whereas the earlier 2E lump hasnt got the Crank Position Sensor, and therefore has a 4 window so it can time the spark for each cylinder?

Right.. now i need to check with the company who make the EFI and see whether it will only work with a 4 window or whether it can work with a 1 window..

If this is not the case and i need to use a 4 window, from reading up tonight online i believe that the 2E a straight swap?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. Dicky_morris Forum Member

hi there, i have been asking some guys on south african websites about the mapping side of life with the mr.turbo software and a few people have addressed some issues i was wondering if you could answer..

1.Having the TB in the position as i wish to install it, doesn't it cause a problem with throttle response and idle due to the larger amount of volume in the charge cooling system

2.The car will battle to pull vacuum and this will cause the engine to rev high for about 2-3 seconds if you blip the throttle till the engine uses the volume of air in the whole cooling system and only then the engine management will notice the vacuum thus providing the correct fueling for that specific load site it is on.

3.Also how will you get the blow off valve to work, there is no vacuum to pull the piston/ diaphragm back?

4.In Reference to point 1..The EMS provides fuel depending on the amount of vacuum or boost. ie. (1500rpm load site) -0.2bar = 2.9ms fuel the more vacuum the less fuel is added obviously. ie. (1500rpm) -0.5bar = 2.2ms fuel etc.....

Anyone help me out on this 1 please..

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

you posting questions and answers to your own post?

lost me

5. Dicky_morris Forum Member

sorry i should have made myself more clear, i was asking about the software they used and was talking about my setup and the people on their forums said it wouldnt work (having the throttle in front of the charger) because of the following points...

1.Having the TB in the position as you wish to install it, doesn't it cause a problem with throttle response and idle due to the larger amount of volume in the charge cooling system

2.The car will battle to pull vacuum and this will cause the engine to rev high for about 2-3 seconds if you blip the throttle till the engine uses the volume of air in the whole cooling system and only then the engine management will notice the vacuum thus providing the correct fueling for that specific load site it is on.

3.Also how will you get the blow off valve to work, there is no vacuum to pull the piston/ diaphragm back?

4.In Reference to point 1..The EMS provides fuel depending on the amount of vacuum or boost. ie. (1500rpm load site) -0.2bar = 2.9ms fuel the more vacuum the less fuel is added obviously. ie. (1500rpm) -0.5bar = 2.2ms fuel etc.....

I want to know whether the above points are valid, because looking at the setup nando and ed have spoken about it should work fine.. im assuming that megasquirt works off a map sensor the same way the software i am using does.. and the bbm kit runs a recirc valve with no issues.. so im now confused as to the issues pointed out in the above points...

6. badger5

I have already posted the effects I encountered on moving the t'body to charger inlet.

they describe MAP sensor being used for load.. which is one way.. but there is also rpm vs throttle position option.... BUT as said the vacuum side of the issue remains

7. Ervs New Member

Super Charging 2l 8valve

Howzit guys, i have a 2l 8valve ady engine, just had a look at the posts, very interesting, could some please give me more info on this and what are the negative sides to this , if any, oh by the way, i am from South Africa, what are the costs incurrred on obtaining the parts, any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

In addtion to using an Eaton based unit, in S.A. you should be able to source the charger from a Toyota GS121 Crown w/1GGZE or a AE92 Levin with a 4AGZE.

9. Dicky_morris Forum Member

From a management POV you have Dickitor, MR.Turbo, Go-tech Unichip to name but a few.. it depends on how much your willing to spend..

10. Dicky_morris Forum Member

hey guys,

with regards FPR and the charger, at 5psi is there any need to upgrade the Fuel Pressure and if there is i have a problem..

I have a filterking adjustable FPR and i was wondering the best way to fit this to the standard fuel rail.. am i able to pull the internals out of the standard FPR and mount this Adj FPR behind it.. is there an adapter i can plug in to replace the standard FPR and allow me to run the Adjustable FPR...

heres a pic of my Adj FPR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see, theres a fuel reg on the end of the fuel rail with a crescent shaped fiting..hmmm

The other thing i need to check up on is plugs.. i run the standard plugs for the gti now and am due some new plugs.. the car will be going on the rollers so i wouldn't mind throwing new plugs in to keep an eye on det etc.. so can i run on standard heat range??

Dicky

Cheers

Dicky

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  11. Zub-Dub New Member

Yip both the sc14 and sc12 units are available in SA..... Im also in KZN,they are Cheap as chips 2. about R2500 for the charger, id look at the SC14 as it was spec'ed for a 2.0 liter motor in the first place.

Check gumtree mate, there are always a few on there.

12. braemarboy Forum Member

sorry im having difficulties understanding how this set up measures the airflow for the stock ecu

really interested in this project

it seems like it could also be quite cheap on a budget but mainly i just want more noise lol

13. badger5

noise is the easy bit.
    it is'nt measuring airflow any more.

rpm vs throttle position now

14. braemarboy Forum Member

how did you get it to do that?

15. badger5

disconnect maf...
    then map it to suit... then go standalone DTA (bought but not installed yet) to make it a nicer job. stock ecu aint loving the e45

16. Admin Guest

17. braemarboy Forum Member

em no not really what i was thinkin lol

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

sorry for the hijack but i too have a pb/agg tall block setup in my mk2 and would love to have a g60 on it. Just need a quick if and how it will be possible? must be a g lader though as the sound it makes will help me imagine I am once again sitting in my rallye :lol: