GVKs mk2 VR6

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by GVK, Oct 23, 2003.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

LOL - Bill thought it would be a good idea. But he isn't the main influence. When the swap was done, it was suggested on more than one occasion it should be turbo'ed and i'd be gay if I didn't!

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I would expect the same TBH. I would be well ****ed off if your motor with the bits that you threw at it was not peaking at 200+or more seeing that my std thing on a similar rolls was about 181bhp peaK, operator mounting error aside.
    AFR control looks ok. Although I would like to know why the calibration allows for a dip in AFRs in the mid range. Does not show a correlation to torque though. But that is massed produced desktop chips for you, where one cal fits all...lol. Also the torque is around 185lbft?@4600rpm but seems to take a longer time to decay off post 6500 bhp peak, possibly becuase of the cams and the desktop chip optimisation. 7500rpm rev limit and it is still making ABF torque! Of course your short FD will make the best use of this as I can see this engine still stuggling against a good working ABF engine'd MK2 car, top end, if you ran the STD 3.39 FD.
    By comparison mine on the STD bits gets to almost 190lbft@4600rpm but only for a short time before nose diving post 6200rpm.
    When you look at the AFR control it is not that billiant either. Overfueling in places and underfueling in others and correlates to torque...Oh well...

To turbo or not to...
    The world or 350lbft and 400bhp awaits you.
    Quickly walk ye into that door.

You will need to "anchor" optimisations though...

My 2p.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. GVK

It's not horrendous though Eddie, is it?

It's been in this state of tune since Spring 2008, and if driven very sensibly on the road [granny style] it gives 35-37mpg on the MFA, so it can't be toooo far out.

With the mods that have been done it feels quite a bit different to a stock VR6, much more revvy and responsive, the 3.68FD helps though, a lot !....and as PhatVR6 has been telling folk since Jesus died, it's the best mod you can do on a VR6.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Me just being a bit of perfectionist and wanting to get the last bit of performance that is left in a hardware build.
    It looks fine at WOT otherwise. 35-37mpg, that pretty frugal then. I would struggle to sustain that in my MK3.
    I can see that it is revvy indeed with the 7.5K cut out and still making usable torque. No wonder the dyno guys loved the sound.

5. GVK

[​IMG]

Next project...

6. barny Forum Member

:thumbup: Glad your keeping it mr, its almost a legendary as the Reeves cars now

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Did you buy a boost bar just for that picture ? :lol:

8. GVK

9. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

:lol: That's the sort of thing i'd do, and as a bonus your left with a tasty treat!

10. gillm

gillm ***** User

nice to hear you are keeping it mate . your car needs you ! thought of a charger for it ?

11. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Booo !

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Bump :thumbup: [:D] [>:d<]

13. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Plans sound good.
    Did you see this engine for sale? Would love to see what it would be like.

I thought it would make a great NA VR6. But Lot's money for small gains compared to boost. And I guess you explored this with the old 16v.

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=270489

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  14. GVK

After an absence from here for the last few months, due to 'stuff' that's since been sorted, I'm going to be an active poster on here once again. Been out at Rockingham last month so will report that and add the vids and pics as usual.

Gary

15. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

Glad that stuff has been sorted, i'll look forward to reading your new posts. :thumbup:

16. Admin Guest

Good :thumbup:, looking forward to it.

17. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

nice to see you back:thumbup:

any more trance for us

18. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Blast from the past (well not that much past, but haven't heard much on this car in a while.)

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

good to see you back, charged v6 sounds good!!

20. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

welcome back Gary :)